Author Topic: Help needed to decipher place name  (Read 3156 times)

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help needed to decipher place name
« on: Friday 17 February 06 06:16 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone decipher this place name (the second one down) its in Yorkshire , somewhere???

1861 census  3217  fol 127 pg 18

thanks
JJDownunder
All census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lawson,Houlden,Robinson,Cooper,Farrar,Hunter,Wilson, (in yeadon rawdon guiseley) Lofthouse,Gill, (in burley in wharfedale,langcliffe,hampsthwaite) Gray (in aberford) Wetherill (in Harewood) Elliott,Hudson(in gislingham suffolk) Worm(e),Holmes (in hainford norfolk)

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to decipher place name
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 06 06:47 GMT (UK) »

Well JJ - that's a tough one !!

Theres a town in Yorkshire called Kirk Hammerton .... but that's too long I think ....  ::) but it's Kirk .. something I'm sure! (it's probably Horseforth ...... :P )

Sorry - not much help!

Annie  :) :) :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 February 06 09:11 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it is Horsforth - it doesn't look like the other too versions of Horsforth.

I thought it looked a little like Dishforth or Rufforth - but not sure - can't really tell what the first letter is ????

Do you have anything from other census years that could help ? 
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 February 06 12:45 GMT (UK) »
JJ,

OK, it's cheating, but have you tried looking for the birth in Familysearch/YorkshireBMD? That might give you the clue you need.

Alternatively, post the name and age of the person, and we can all have a look for him/her. ;)

Jon
Armitage-Smith Meanwood Leeds
Whitehead-Holroyd Farnley/Wortley/Armley Leeds

Census information is Crown Copyright, transcribed by me.

Offline Dalum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 February 06 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I can't see the first letter as a 'K' - it's not like the K in 'Pikering' above.

Could it simply be 'do.', followed by a place in Pickering?!

If the first letter of the next part could be made into 'M' it might be 'Marish' - there are Low Marishes and Low Marishes and West Marishes in Pickering, according to GenUKI.

Tricky  :)

Hugh
Sheffield look-ups, Cemeteries etc

UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 February 06 13:19 GMT (UK) »
HI to all

Only posting because someof you seem eager to help the person who posted the request

Joseph (Gamivell - this is what his surname looks like in the image) born roughly in the year of  1797 born some where in Yorkshire.

he is listed as being unmarried and is shown as being the brother to the head of house who is Hannah Hunter Widowed ( also Widowed in the 1851)

Hannah is shown as being born 1786 Pickering.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 06 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Thanks for all your input, sorry I haven't replied sooner but have been a bit under the weather the last few days, anyway ,
The 1871 census (4307 fol 85 ) shows Joseph Gamwell 76(no place of birth is stated) he is living in the household of Thomas and Caroline Hunter and the relationship to the Head of the household just states relation, I was trying to determine what the relationship was then I found him 1861 living with his sister Hannah Hunter a widow but was unable to decipher his place of birth.
The only Joseph Gamwell I found that would match was born Ripley Yorkshire to Robert Gamwell and Hannah Hawkswell and I also found Hannah Gamwell born Pickering to Robert Gamwell and Hannah so assume I am on the right track but the place name I am trying to decipher doesn't look like Ripley and I haven't located him in 1851 as yet to see if it will give me anymore clues

JJDownunder
All census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lawson,Houlden,Robinson,Cooper,Farrar,Hunter,Wilson, (in yeadon rawdon guiseley) Lofthouse,Gill, (in burley in wharfedale,langcliffe,hampsthwaite) Gray (in aberford) Wetherill (in Harewood) Elliott,Hudson(in gislingham suffolk) Worm(e),Holmes (in hainford norfolk)

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 February 06 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Joseph Gamwell you have found born in Ripley is shown on the 1851 census at Norwood cum Clifton, shown as aged 50 (c.1801) and an unmarried servant - agricultural worker.

His place of birth is Killinghall, which fits with Ripley as it is a village just outside Ripley, towards Harrogate.  In 1851, he was living with the Elsworth family, and possibly if they completed the form, they knew he was 'about 50'.

On the later census - the enumerator may not have been able to recognise the place name - Killinghall....it does look to me as if the word starts with Ki.....
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Cuddy

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Suggest is Ackworth, Yorkshire.  Ending more like 'worth'.