Author Topic: murder in the Lewis family!  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Hippohere

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
murder in the Lewis family!
« on: Friday 17 February 06 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Just had an email this morning from 'cousin':

Roseanna died on the 25th Jul 1912.  The death register is not very legible, but cause of death appears to read “Cut throat, murder, Hemorrhagic Shock”. Address of death is listed as 36 Simpson Street.  The previous entry is for an Ann McCartney, also found dead at 36 Simpson Street, cause of death "Strangulation Suicide". 

How an I find out more? Would it have made the newspapers? Would there have been an inquest? Who done it?

Roseanna's maiden name was Clark and she was born in England, married to James Lewis.

Thanks Karen

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: murder in the Lewis family!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 06 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Newspapers

Probably

Inquest ..

No, we don't have them in Scotland .... as the death was very likely the subject of a criminal enquiry if someone was caught for it and prosecuted there should be court records at the NAS
Have a look at the NAS online search facility click here

Who done it .... court records should reveal all

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 February 06 22:47 GMT (UK) »
One possible scenario is that Ann MCCartney murdered Roseann Lewis and then killed herself.
If this was what happened then no court papers would exist although a report concerning the death would be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal for Glasgow Sheriff Court and the Crown Office. There are a number of PF's archives lodged with the National Archives in Edinburgh but as far as I know they are not available online and coverage is patchy.

Offline Hippohere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 06 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for your replies. I am not sure how this Roseanna fits in, but I'm sure a bit of delving might find some answers.

Offline Hippohere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 February 06 11:36 GMT (UK) »
My 'cousin' emailed this morning, the Roseanna is the illegitimate child of Jane Lewis and so is my second cousin twice removed. She was adopted by Ann Sweeny(McCartney), who separated from her husband, and seems to have been so upset by his death that she killed Roseanna and then committed suicide.
A very sad story.