Author Topic: Death/ Obit Kenneth CAMERON Police Superintendent - Complete  (Read 6047 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Death/ Obit Kenneth CAMERON Police Superintendent - Complete
« on: Friday 17 February 06 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

I have tried and failed to find the death of Kenneth CAMERON on Scotlandspeople.

I wonder whether anyone has access to newspaper obituaries or burial indices and might be able to help me out?

After receiving a very detailed career history from Police records, thanks to a friendly police historian, I was able to find census and BMD information to create a fascinating life story, which we would very much like to round off by incuding what became of Kenneth.

He was born in Fodderty in 1850 and was alive and living in Dingwall in 1910 when he was informant for his mother's death.  He retired from the Police Force (as far as I know) in 1915.  His family were quite long-lived, so I searched Scotlandspeople for all locations and up to 1955!!

Would be very grateful for information about Kenny

Many thanks in anticipation

Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death/ Obit Kenneth CAMERON Police Superintendent - Updated!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 06 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Isn't the internet wonderful?

I found a website with lots of info including the date of death of my man Kenny - still no idea why Scotlandspeople doesn't feature him though!

DOD - 06 Jun 1923

Now I need to know:

~ was there an obituary?

~ where is he interred?

I have contacted the ROC council about the latter, but would still be grateful for any info

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 October 06 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I've got the book of MIs for St Clement's Kirkyard in Dingwall. One entry reads:

"In loving memory of Andrewina Paterson who died 3rd December 1910 aged 51, wife of Kenneth Cameron, Deputy Chief Constable, Dingwall. Also of the above Kenneth Cameron who served in the police force for 45 years and who died 6th June 1923 aged 73.

Also of their daughters Helen Blanche who died 14th January 1968. Ava who died at Newcastle-upon-Tyne 3rd February 1968, Jessie Catherine died 28th August 1972, Abel died 10th February 1976.

Their daughter Violet died 2nd February 1949. Their son Kenneth who died 13th March 1967."

The adjacent stone reads (possibly a relation of the above?):

"In loving memory of Hannah Brown MacKenzie Cameron who fell asleep 10th December 1895 aged 4 years 11 months."

Hope that these are your line!
Lynn

Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 October 06 12:19 BST (UK) »
Oh Lynn

How kind of you - yes, they are all mine!

I have made contact with a grandson of this Kenneth - a cousin-sometimes-removed  ;D - and had finally twigged that Kenneth died in Newcastle while living with or near his daughters.  My father remembers some of the family, but Abel is new to me - must go and check.

It is very moving to read the actual inscription, isn't it?

Thank you once again for your trouble.

Arranroots  ;)

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 October 06 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi arranroots

I'm so glad that they're the family you're looking for!

Some additional info from the MI book is that both stones are in the form of Celtic crosses and they lie in the north-east area of the kirkyard, in front of the church.

Happy searching!
Lynn
Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 October 06 12:36 BST (UK) »
Wee Hannah I knew had died before the 1901 census.  I did not have definite dates for some of the others and there are children of two wives here, which complicates things!

I am still wondering who Abel is - you have started me off on another avenue entirely now!

Plus I have somewhere definite to visit next time I am up that way!

:D

p.s. of interest - AVA was known as such, but these were really her intials - she was Andrewina like her mother!  (I know which I prefer!!)

Offline conner395

• RootsChat Member
  • Northern Police Pipe Band www.norconpipeband.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 September 08 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi arranroots

I'm so glad that they're the family you're looking for!

Some additional info from the MI book is that both stones are in the form of Celtic crosses and they lie in the north-east area of the kirkyard, in front of the church.

Happy searching!
Lynn

I found it easily thanks to Lynn's directions!
The stone is now slanting, and sadly the cross is broken off the wee lassie's stone.
Dave Conner
retired police officer / force historian (volunteer)
(Northern Constabulary)
Inverness, Scotland

Researching Police History of the Scottish Highlands and Islands
(Northern Constabulary area)

Offline conner395

• RootsChat Member
  • Northern Police Pipe Band www.norconpipeband.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death/ Obit Kenneth CAMERON Police Superintendent - Complete
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 September 08 14:25 BST (UK) »
Incidentally, you can see a photo of Superintendent Kenneth Cameron, and read a precis of my research on him (which was ably aided and assisted by Arranroots!) at:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/conner395/2819571536

which is also part of my Police History set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/conner395/sets/72157603637188200/

which in turn is part of Flickr's Police History group (worldwide) at:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/policehistory/

Dave
Dave Conner
retired police officer / force historian (volunteer)
(Northern Constabulary)
Inverness, Scotland

Researching Police History of the Scottish Highlands and Islands
(Northern Constabulary area)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death/ Obit Kenneth CAMERON Police Superintendent - Complete
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 September 08 09:07 BST (UK) »
Dave, you are a treasure!

The photos is beautiful, thank you so much.  :-*

We had such fun chasing Kenny around and I am proud to have been your collaboratrice!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)