Author Topic: Langham/Walsham-le-Willows MAJOR FAMILY  (Read 5714 times)

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Langham/Walsham-le-Willows MAJOR FAMILY
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 September 07 15:02 BST (UK) »
hi, if you go to www.norfolkchurches.co.uk you will find langham church with photo and details its church is called st.andrews&st.marys church  kind regards  harrywrag

Hi Harry

There are Langhams in both Norfolk and Suffolk.  I believe that the MAJOR family hail from the Suffolk Langham.  Sadly Simon Knott has taken the church off of his website but I believe that the church is still open.

The Suffolk Record Office sells Langham PRs on microfiche - 1561 - 1900

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 September 07 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Rick and Purple Frog et al

Simon is going through many of the old entries on the Suffolk pages of his web site.  He is adding more photographs and amending and updating the text.  Our village was 'off the air' for a while, but it's now back and looking very good.

Keep checking and I am sure that Langham St George will soon re-appear (best time to check is school holiday weeks when Simon has more time to work on the web site  ;D

By the way, in the days when I was still running 'Mum's taxi service' I often travelled a few miles over the border into Essex to take our daughter to a friend in the village of Langham!  So that's one in each county of East Anglia - at least  :D

Suffolk Mawther ...
http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/langham.htm
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 December 07 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Purple Frog,
Not quite on the main purpose and intent of your thread, but tomorrow I'm going to Honington to see what I can find about the MAJOR family who were there in the 1841 Census.
There's a rather uncertain entry of a baptism on the IGI for a Louisa MAJOR on 23rd February 1831, parents given as William and Mary.  Strange that the mother of all her siblings seems to be a Lucy, and that she then disappears until her marriage in 1863 to a William Christopher LLOYDS at St Mary's Islington.
Printing out all the MAJOR's of Suffolk from the National Burial Index, they seem to be well represented, with Langham and Honington cropping out quite often.  I'm hoping to find the 1841 and 1844 burials of her father William and the woman called Lucy, though I have no idea what state the churchyard there will be in.
Anyone with MAJOR interests in Honington who wants me to look at or take a photo of anything...?
I read that the "peasant poet" Robert Bloomfield, was born in 1766 there - he's famous for the long epic poem: "The Farmer's Boy", and preceded the great John Clare...
The pub called "The Fox" looks quite cosy, too!
keith

Offline laterunner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 June 08 13:03 BST (UK) »
A response to one of mine.---->>>>
Thanks for the contact on the Bloomfields. Looking at my  list and the following are the only ones which cross checked.

Isaac b.1682 - d. 1770  m.1703 to Hannah Whiten b. 1682 - d1726 (They had 18 children)

(second marriage)  1730  Susan Clift b. 1682 - d.1764  (They had one child)

William b. 1684 (brother of above) m. 1708 Sarah Jeffrey

The above were children of Isaac b. 1652 - d. 1722 m. 1676 to Catherine Bird b. 1652-d. 1732

George b. 1707 - d 1791 m.1729 Susan Hempstead b. 1708 - d. 1756

(second marriage) 1758 Mary Range b.1737

George b. 1730 - d. 1766 m. 1755 Elizabeth Manby b. 1735 - d. 1804  (They had 7 children, including Robert Bloomfield the Suffolk poet)

Isaac b.1760 - d. 1811. m. 1783 Sarah Whayman b. 1762 

Isaac b.1760 is my gt. gt. gt. grandfather.  Unfortunately, all the other names on your list don't seem to tie in with the ones I found when I visited Suffolk records office last year.  All the ones I found and linked up lived in Suffolk and it was my grandmother Elizabeth Bloomfield b. 1868 - d. 1962 moved to Staffs.    It would appear that your line came from a London family.  Hope this helps.     
Alexander's. & Armstrong's  Ireland

Bloomfield's as well in UKI'm looking for the
 Alexanders  of Galway. Ballinasloe  & elsewhere,   any others connected with
William A. of Dublin B.30/06/1826.D7 or 17/01/1892.
 His Wife Frances Geraldine (Armstrong)  B.Loughrea? 10/12/1824?5 D.05/08/1882. 
William's  father was Thomas  who married Ann Carroll before ? 1823