Author Topic: McCHLERY (& variants), UK & Ireland, All dates  (Read 4974 times)

Offline rosevinecats

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
McCHLERY (& variants), UK & Ireland, All dates
« on: Monday 27 September 04 23:46 BST (UK) »
I am currently compiling a one name study for McChlery and have just reached 1000 persons. I started with Wigtownshire where my McChlery ancestors come from but have now extended it to the rest of the UK and Ireland. Variations I have included so far are McChlerie, McClery, McClerie and Chlery. I will also include McCleary, McClearie, Cleary and Clearie in dfue course. Any McChlery information gratefully accepted.
Bacon, Bramhill, Stanewell  Dempster in Lincolnshire. McChlery, Milroy, Muir and Roseburgh in Wigtownshire and Kirkcudbrightshire.

Offline durbsplaty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McCHLERY (& variants), UK & Ireland, All dates
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 05 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am not sure if you are interested in McChlery outside of the UK and Ireland. I am a descendent of the Barbados McChlery and would be glad to contribute to your research
Best regards,
Patti

Offline hopeful1915

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 July 11 03:21 BST (UK) »
Hello, don't know if you are still doing this ONS? My husband has McChlery and Milroy ancestry ... at least I think so .. his ancestor James Milroy McChlery Birth 1855 in Old Luce, Wigtown  married Mary Henry - their son John Henry McChlery was my husband's gransfather through his mohter, Mary McChlery.

Would love see whether we culd help each other with any information.

Trisha

Offline durbsplaty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 August 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Trisha,

After a gap of many years I have now started working on the family tree again in collaboration with various and more knowledgeable family members scattered throughout the world! My McChlery heritage does stem from Wigtownshire, Scotland. Our records so far take us to William McChlery b.1724/Stoneykirk, Wigtown. He was married to Jane Milwain. His son John McChlery b. 1791/Inch married to Jean Wallace. Their son Thomas b. 1791 married Agnes Cavan b.1995/Kirkmaiden. It seems that established home there as all their sons were born in Kirkmaiden. Agnes's brothers James and Michael Cavan established the Cavan Company in Barbados circa 1792. Their nephews, Michael, David and Henry joined them in Barbados around the 1830s, with Michael eventually becoming executor for the Cavan estate. It seems that the present Barbados McChlery  are the direct descendants of Henry McChlery. We are not sure who Henry married except possibly a Frances Edey. Sure enough, would be glad to collaborate with you.

Patti

Offline Tiv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 August 11 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

I see you are still working at the Wigtownshire McChlerys. Hi too to anyone else out there.

I'm not sure how up to date the Walton tree is on Ancestry, but I can add detail to the wife of Alexander McChlery, Isabella Taylor if you don't have it.  Still unable to trace a birth or baptism for him, but his mother (Jean Caughie) died in 1855, so there is a full roll of spouse, children, etc. Name of parents is confirmed by his death certificate of 1894. The Milroy comes from James Milroy, who was married to Margaret McChlery, possibly Robert McChlery's sister.

Wigtownshire's Old Kirkyards MIs show James Milroy, Margaret Mcchlery, Robert Mcchlery, varoius other McChlerys and Isabella Taylor, his mother. Lots more information on the stone, but too tired to try to disentangle the different generations. ::)

Jean

Offline garnwen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 November 11 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Whilst researching the Cavan family of merchants/bankers, I have found the following information on Michael McChlery, James Cavan's nephew.

He was chairman of the Demerara Railway Company (the first in S. America) in the late 1840s and a director of the Llynvi iron Company in south Wales 1847-1852. James Cavan was a major investor in the iron co. and MM seems to have been Cavan's representative on the Llynvi Board of Directors. MM also seems to have been an agent for the Colonial Bank in the West Indies 1838-52.