Author Topic: Death Certificate Error? Help, Please  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Certificate Error? Help, Please
« on: Saturday 18 February 06 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that the names of the deceased’s parents cited on a statutory death certificate could be erroneous?

William Paterson died on 8 May 1858 but his death was not recorded until 14 May 1858. His age is recorded as 72 and the names of his parents are cited on the death certificate as William Paterson (farmer) and Ann Paterson (maiden name Roger).

I have been unable to find an OPR marriage record for William Paterson and Ann Roger or a birth record for their son, William. However, I have found a marriage record for Gavin Paterson and Janet Roger (m. 1862 in Cambuslang). I believe that they are William’s parents, as they had a son named William born in 1787 in Hamilton. Moreover, this is borne out by Scottish naming patterns.

William married Margaret Paton in Hamilton. William’s eldest son (normally named after the father’s father) is Gavin Paterson and his second eldest son is John (normally named after the mother’s father, Margaret Paton’s father being John Paton). The third son is William, customarily named after the father. William’s daughters are Janet (presumably named after William’s mother, Janet Roger) and Jean (named after Margaret Paton’s mother, Jean Gavin). It all fits perfectly in terms of Scottish naming patterns and the genealogical information I have gleaned but NOT in terms of the information recorded on William’s death certificate.

If William’s mother was indeed Ann Roger, why are there no daughters named Ann and why would his eldest son be named Gavin if William’s father’s name was William?

On the other hand, am I making too many assumptions?

As William Paterson (1786-1858) was a magistrate in Hamilton, his son Gavin (1826-1889) was Provost of Hamilton and his son Gavin Paterson (1866-1934) was a well-known architect in Hamilton, I thought the names of William’s parents might be on record at the Hamilton Reference Library. I wrote to the librarian but have had no response.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Is there anyone researching the same Paterson line who can help with this, please?

Cheers,

Rodeo 

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate Error? Help, Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 February 06 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rodeo

This seems to be somewhat similar to a query I have been looking at where it appears the father's name is actually the name of the step father (the father having died when the child was very young).

I would think it would be unusual to have both parents names incorrect - unless perhaps your Williams parents died when he was very young & he was brought up by relatives. i.e. The informant thought the parents were William and Ann, because they brought up your William.  Was the informant a close relative - wife, son?

I have found my Scottish naming patterns to be very strong until the late 1800s so that adds to your argument.

I'm sure those of more recent Scottish origins than myself will have some better ideas

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 February 06 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

Thanks for your message. According to the death certificate, the informant was William's son, William. However, as I mentioned, the death wasn't registered until six days after the event and the cause was certified by the surgeon who had seen the deceased three days before but wasn't present at the death. Isn't it possible, then, that it was the surgeon rather than William's son who registered the death?

Strange that I can find no birth record for Ann Roger but have found Janet Roger's. The only birth record I could find for William (1787) cites his parents as Gavin Paterson and Janet Roger, as I said. I am going to explore the possibility, as you suggest, that William was raised by close relatives.

Yes, in my family too the Scottish naming patterns were strictly adhered to for many generations, which is why it seems to make sense that William's parents were Gavin Paterson and Janet Roger.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 06 06:19 GMT (UK) »
I would think it is more likely that the son registered the death. It perhaps took him a few days if he wasn't living near his father. I know with current deaths (in my part of the world), the doctor (or hospital or whoever) completes a "Cause of Death" certificate & this is used to register the death - but the informant is not usually the doctor who completes that first stage.

I browsed around the IGI and found some Patersons in your area of interest. I did find a William who was a possibility for your William's father - I was hoping he would be a brother to a Gavin, but no such luck. I couldn't find Ann anywhere. I am wondering if William and Ann may be the grandparents?

Trish

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 February 06 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

Yes, it's possible that William and Ann could be William senior's grandparents. Unfortunately, though, I seem to have hit a wall and can't verify any of these theories though the OPR records. Exasperating!

Do you happen to know of anyone who does lookups of the Parish Curchyard Cemetery, Hamilton (where Wiliam is buried)? If not, I'll post a message in another topic.

Again, many thanks, Trish.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 February 06 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Sorry no  -  I live in Australia.

I've just had a browse on SP as I had a few credits expiring today (not sure why I left the IGI). I found a Gavin, father William (no mother mentioned) 26 oct 1746 in Avondale - perhaps a little young for your 1762 marriage?  and I'm not sure of the geography.

As you said, no sign of a William parents William and Ann.

Have you tried searching the wills on SP - There is this one
Paterson William 04/03/1793 tenant in Syde of Carmichael TD Lanark Commissary Court
and some Gavins - I wasn't sure about them.

Trish

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 February 06 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

I live in Oz too -- Sydney. As I'm new to Rootschat, I thought you might have come across a request for a lookup in the Parish Churchyard, Hamilton.

Thanks so much for your research on SP. I was just doing the same. I already had William's will and those of two of his sons. I must say that the William Paterson, tenant in Syde of Carmichael, caught my attention too. I'll buy more credits and check it out. I've been up a few blind alleys, though, on that site.

The Gavin Paterson (b. 1746 in Avondale) looks interesting in that my Paterson forebears were covenanters who fought at Drumclog (in Avondale Parish) and Bothwell Bridge. I'll check that out too.

Thanks again, Trish.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 February 06 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

I live in Oz too -- Sydney.

My home town - why did I marry a Queenslander   :'(   :'( 

Trish

PS There is a web site around where people offer graveyard lookups - Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness  RAGK - do a google for it - I have had 2 wonderful folks on there do lookups for me.

another thought - put your location on your profile - it is quite useful for others to know where you are from (It stops them suggesting you visit New Register House in Edinburgh  ;D   ;D  )

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 February 06 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the Random Acts tip, Trish. I'll definitely have a look at that site.

All the best,

Rodeo