Author Topic: Death Certificate Error? Help, Please  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate Error? Help, Please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 February 06 09:13 GMT (UK) »
You have to remember also that the parents may never have married, I had a similar problem with one of my Scottish deaths, luckily I managed to find the mothers death cert where she was under her maiden name and single (it was registered luckily by her son in law the spouse of the person I was looking for)

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 February 06 11:21 GMT (UK) »
The naming pattern is certainly evidence towards your links but not conclusive as it was not always followed.

Re the names of the Williams parents ... you must remember two things here
  • its a traumatic time reporting the death of a parent and the effect this has
  • The reporter of Williams death may not have known his grandparents full names as presumably they died sometime before

The second coupled with the emotions of the first can cause quite a few problems for posterity.

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Sharon and Robert, for your help.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 23:25 GMT (UK) »
The information given on death certificates (other than cause of death) is only as good as the information known by the informant.  Even if the informant is a child of the deceased, they may still not be sure of some of the details.  I know myself that if anyone other than her children had to give my mums name they'd get it completely wrong as the name she has been known by all her life is actually just taken from her initials - even the local hospital can't get her name right on their records.   I've known instances where first names have been switched in order, because the person has been called by their second name, ages completely wrong, etc. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 February 06 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your message. According to the death certificate, the informant was William's son, William. However, as I mentioned, the death wasn't registered until six days after the event and the cause was certified by the surgeon who had seen the deceased three days before but wasn't present at the death. Isn't it possible, then, that it was the surgeon rather than William's son who registered the death?
No, the rules were quite clear. The informant had to state his name and relationship to the deceased. If it had been the doctor (unusual) he would have said so. The delay wasn't unusual - perhaps William was living somewhere else and it took a few days for him to be told and to be able to get to his father's home.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 February 06 17:13 GMT (UK) »
There is a web site around where people offer graveyard lookups - Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness  RAGK - do a google for it - I have had 2 wonderful folks on there do lookups for me.
It's RAOGK actually - http://www.raogk.org/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.