Author Topic: Captain Scott of the Antarctic  (Read 3399 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Captain Scott of the Antarctic
« on: Saturday 18 February 06 14:44 GMT (UK) »
According to family tradition my grandmother was in some way related to the famous explorer Captain Robert Falcon Scott of the Antarctic, who was born in 1868.  As a small child I was given a gold american coin that was supposed to have been part of a set of 3 that had once belonged to Capt Scott.

His parents John Edward Scott and Hannah Cuming were maried in Davenport about 1865 and, according to the LDS, John Edward Scott's parents were Robert Scott and Ann M ???.

I would like to discover whether there really is a connection here.  My grandmother's parents were Thomas Hannah born about 1867 and Elizabeth Hammond born about 1869, who were married in Dublin on 7 March 1895 and it is through Elizabeth Hammond that I believe the connection may lie.  She may have possibly have been a cousin of Hannah Cuming.

If anyone has any information that may help with this search I would be grateful for any assistance.

Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Scott of the Antarctic
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 February 06 22:28 GMT (UK) »
John Edward Scott (b cir 1832) and Hannah Cuming (b cir 1841) married in Devonport (an area of Plymouth) in 1862 (Sep qtr 5b 421).  Both she and her husband were born in Devon.  Her parents were William B Cuming and Esther D Cuming, both born cir 1803, he in Dartmouth and she in Padstow, Cornwall.

It may help if you give the places of birth for your grandmother's parents - there were a number possible candidates who appear in 1881, unless they were both born in Ireland.  Also Elizabeth's father's name, especially since you believe the connection lies there.

Nell

PS If I may ask - where is the Hampshire connection?
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 July 07 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hello coonwarra,

I hope you've no objection to your threads being linked. It may help someone to throw more light on the subject. 

Captain Scott of the Antarctic on the Co. Antrim board. It's just been moved to Dublin board.
Captain Scott of the Antarctic on England - General board
Hannah / Hammond on the Dublin board.

Christopher

Offline Knellie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 July 07 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Found detailed info. here...

http://www.south-pole.com/p0000090.htm

Think Scott's sister Rosie married a Captain Eric Campbell of the Royal Irish Fusiliers - one of her brother Archie's fellow officers.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 July 07 09:08 BST (UK) »
What information did you find, Knellie ??? Other than a mention of the marriage of "Con" and Kathleen Bruce in the Chapel Royal at Hampton Court on September 2nd, 1908 I can't see much. I'll try to remember that date as September 2nd is my birthday 8)

Christopher

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 July 07 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher

I am very pleased for the posts to be linked.  Hopefully it will result in more information coming to light.

Knellie - thank you for the weblink.  I had not seen the site that you found - it contains a lot of interesting stuff about Scott's life.

:)

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 July 07 09:46 BST (UK) »
I've looked at the Scott Polar Research Institute website and found that Kathleen Bruce was born at Carlton-in-Lindrick, near Worksop, on 27 March 1878. She was the eleventh child of the Reverend Lloyd Bruce. In 1922, she married Edward Hilton Young, MP for Norwich. They had a son, Wayland, in 1923.

That's not helping with finding the link between Elizabeth Hammond and Hannah Cuming though.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 July 07 12:28 BST (UK) »
Has a Hampshire connection been found at all?  Devon still seems the most appropriate place for this.   :-\

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 July 07 12:41 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately not.  I have to be honest and say that I am floundering a bit with this one!!!!!

:'(