Author Topic: Where is Bishop Maton situated in Shropshire?  (Read 2264 times)

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Bishop Maton situated in Shropshire?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Ddraig, :)

I tried all I Know to find Bishop Maton Here. I live in Shrewsbury, and being a plumber, Travel the roads every day, but I can honestly say. I have never seen a sign, pointing to Bishop Maton. Thats not to say it dosent exist, It still
opens my eyes when the boss gives me a job in a tiny hamlet out in the sticks,
I have to get out my street map of Shropshire, I did find a Bishops Moat in Shropshire, try entering in your engine    bishops moat-Shropshire 

My GGgrandfather was Thomas Edwards b ab 1828 Cound Shropshire,
his dads name was George, this is where I am Stuck, ???

best regards,
Pete.
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline DDRAIG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 February 06 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete,

Well I expect the story will go on and on until I have cilmbed the brick wall :) but after all the suggestions I have decided to go for two ??? Bishops Castle and Bishps Moat :D and concentrate on trying to find Thomas's birth in those areas  ???.
I wish you all the best in trying to find your Thomas's father if I happen to come across a Thomas with a Father George I will Let you know, (what year would it be about), nice chatting take care :), and keep in touch.
regards John

Bushell Nor/Dev. French Dur/Yks/Glam. Edwards Shrops/Lnd/Glam.  Armytage Ess/ Glam Eves Som/Glam. Owens Glam  Stimpson Rut/Glam. Nash Gls/Mon/  Tucker Gls. Williams Gls. Lever Yks  Leaf Yks

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
  • THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SHROPSHIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 February 06 19:08 GMT (UK) »
hello
just had a thought - Mainstone is one of the nearest villages to Bishops Moat and  Bishops Castle.
good luck
s.g.d.

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 February 06 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Following on from s.g.d. - could the 1861 census entry be "Bishop Mote"?  We all know spelling was variable, especially when the place wasn't known by the enumerator.

The writing's also a bit of a scrawl but I don't think I could have made "Maton" out of it.

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DDRAIG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 February 06 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica and S.G.D.

I shal be having a look at both, I shall be chasing up the Churches in the area and maybe make a visit in the spring, until then the searching must go on, many thanks once again for you help.

Take care,  John Edwards
Bushell Nor/Dev. French Dur/Yks/Glam. Edwards Shrops/Lnd/Glam.  Armytage Ess/ Glam Eves Som/Glam. Owens Glam  Stimpson Rut/Glam. Nash Gls/Mon/  Tucker Gls. Williams Gls. Lever Yks  Leaf Yks