Author Topic: Corbetts of near Mitchelstown  (Read 20399 times)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
Re: Corbetts of near Mitchelstown
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 August 09 17:45 BST (UK) »
Ann - I think I may have found the Irish GRO ref for Patrick Corbett and Ellen's marriage certificate. See later...

Aghadowey (whoever you may be!) and Shane - thanks soooo much! I was utterly convinced that the pre-1922 civil BMD certificates were irrevocably lost! I've checked the GRO Ireland site and the "How to successfully search the Irish BMD site?" topic (plus secondary topics mentioned there). The ins and outs of the search facility are a well-worn subject, eh? Happily forewarned is fore-armed, so a bit of patient searching could pay big dividends.

Back to Ann - this link http://www.rootschat.com/links/06z8/ should show you a familysearch.org results page showing all (and there's only 15) registered 1891-1894 Patrick Corbett marriages in the whole of Ireland.
There's one for 1893 in Mitchelstown registration district (Apr-Jun quarter, volume 4, page 350).

This one  http://www.rootschat.com/links/06za/ was a bit of a wild stab (click the "Refine Search" to see the criteria) - I checked all the results that matched Mitchelstown registration district, 1893, Apr-Jun quarter. There's only one with volume 4, page 350  - Ellen Condon, on the 8th page of results.

Hopefully 1893 Marriage, Apr-Jun quarter, volume 4, page 350, Patrick Corbett/Ellen Condon could be the Irish GRO reference you're after. But be prepared for disappointment (just in case) - and maybe wait for Shane and/or  aghadowey to comment in case I've missed something!

Fingers crossed...
Pete
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 August 09 18:00 BST (UK) »
that Corbett/Condon match you found looks good to me - same index details for both names so it's very likely they married each other.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 August 09 20:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Pete, Shane and Aghadowey - really helpful and productive.

Now, I've got the ref. for the marriage, what is the best way to access a copy of the certificate?

Many thanks again,

Ann.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 27 August 09 20:11 BST (UK) »
you can order certs form the GRO by post using those index details - www.groireland.ie

they are busy at the moment .. so expect a wait of up to 4 or 5 weeks

make sure to include the name, quarter/year, registration district, volume and page on your order form

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 27 August 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Shane.
Pete - we'll be able to see then if our Great Grandfathers were brothers or not, won't we?
Ann.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 August 09 07:24 BST (UK) »
Expanding on what Shane said about http://www.groireland.ie/ , it appears that you need to click the "Apply For Cert" link (halfway down the red left-hand column). The "Certificate Application Form in English" that you can download is actually a Microsoft Word document, not a PDF as they state.

The thread mentioned earlier at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355762.45.html about the LDS pilot site contains several hints and suggestions on how to fill in the Certificate Application Form. I'd suggest (but I haven't tried it yet) filling in "SECTION 2: Details of person whose marriage certificate is requested" as follows:

Surname/forename of both parties - obvious.
PPS Number - leave blank (Shane mentions in that other topic that it's a tax reference). 
Date of marriage - "Year 1893, Apr-Jun Quarter"
Place of marriage - "Mitchelstown registration district, Volume 4, Page 350"

Good luck Ann!
Pete

P.S. Shane - is it two couples per page on the actual marriage register, same as the UK?
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 August 09 08:03 BST (UK) »
P.S. Shane - is it two couples per page on the actual marriage register, same as the UK?

not certain if its two or more marriages to a page - but the same logic applies. A couple marrying each other will have to appear on the same page of the same volume.

It is theoretically possible that you could have a Patrick and and Ellen on the same page and them marrying different people around the same date .. but given the small number of potential matches in your search this is highly unlikely.

The marriage cert will give Patrick's residence, father name and occupation. By comparing the details you should be able to tell if you have found siblings .. and therefore a common Great Great Grandfather..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 05:51 BST (UK) »
(New topic started at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=417147 with this query - it shouldn't really have been here in the first place!)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 30 October 09 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,

I've been off-line for several weeks, so I'm doing a bit of catch-up on topics I'm interested in.
Did you order the certificate? If so (and if it was the correct one) then was Patrick's father called Michael?

Pete