Author Topic: Corbetts of near Mitchelstown  (Read 20397 times)

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Corbetts of near Mitchelstown
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 August 09 13:02 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism record for Patrick Corbett in each of 1868, 1869 and 1870. Any one of those could be my Great Grandfather. Hmmmm.....
Only the 1868 is for Glanworth though, I think that is worth a punt!
Ann.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 August 09 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

I don't think the 1901 census transcription will tell you anything new, but I'd agree - 99% certain it's your family (I'm NEVER 100% certain!  ;) ). Maybe when you're in Ireland you could look at the original if you're near the National Archives of Ireland - Dublin I think?

A marriage record would definitely be the easiest way to find Patrick's fathers name, but the 1868 baptism record you mention could just strike gold, considering the scarcity of Corbetts in Glanworth! And if the father turns out to be Michael then the chance of a connection is stronger. There were 4 other Corbett baptisms in Glanworth RC between 1860 and 1868 - Michael (1860), Michael (1861), Johanna (1863) and William (1865). The Michael Corbett on my 1911 census was aged 50...

You know that Patrick and Ellen were married in 1892/3 (from the 1911 census). Since Ellen (the eldest living child) was baptised in 1894 I think it's most likely that they were married in the same place, i.e. Glanworth RC parish. Maybe the Glanworth marriage register simply isn't online, or doesnt cover 1892/3? IFHF MHC should be correcting their Sources page soon - it doesn't currently list Glanworth RC parish!

On a whim I did a check for Patrick Corbett marriages in 1892/3 on the main IFHF site (all Ireland). It gives two possibilities - 1892 Co. Limerick, 1893 Co. Tipperary. As I said, I think these are unlikely, unless you know of a connection?

I was very lucky - I found marriage records for both sets of Irish grandparents at the IFHF online sites. If you're near Mallow then the Mallow Heritage Centre, which handles IFHF records for Co Cork NE, is based there so they may be worth a visit (never been there myself). They may give you some leads.

I'm actually in SE Asia! That's why I tend to do all my research on the internet, although I get back to England occasionally.

Cheers,
Pete

P.S. The 1911 census showed 10 children born alive, only 7 still living (all listed at that address). I rechecked, and there's two more Corbetts baptised in Glanworth RC parish between 1892 and 1911 - Michael (b1895) and Margaret (b1894). So they may be 2 of the 3 who died? Can't find a third though.
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 August 09 15:27 BST (UK) »
I've only just noticed - Mitchelstown is almost smack on the point where Co Cork, Co Tipperary and Co Limerick meet! So if those 1892/3 Co Limerick/Co Tipperary Patrick Corbett marriages are near here, it's less of a long-shot - one of them may be the right one. The Mitchelstown RC parish actually extends into Co Limerick.

Unfortunately the Tipperary marriage appears to be in the north of the county, and the Limerick marriage doesn't appear to be in an RC parish. But don't take my word for it - I only did a cursory check.

Pete
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 15:18 BST (UK) »
...and another stupid mistake I made! IFHF MHC does list Glanworth RC parish in its sources, but as "Ballindangan & Glanworth RC parish". They have birth and marriage records from 1836-1899. So if Patrick and Ellen were married in Glanworth RC parish in 1892/3 the records should be there.

Pete

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can't see from this correspondance that anyone has had a look at the LDS site for the Irish BMD Indexes at

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#

Looks like there may be a few clues there.

HB
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 August 09 05:49 BST (UK) »
Good call Hugo, I wasn't aware of that site.

I've had a quick look. The results give the equivalent of the information in the UK GRO indexes, correct? (i.e. for all BMD records - year, quarter, surname, given name(s), volume, page; plus for death records - age, estimated birth year; plus for birth records - mother's surnames)

I assume that due to the 1922 fires, most (all?) of the original BMD certificates were destroyed. So the reference in the Irish Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958 is as far as we can go?

Thanks again,
Pete

P.S. Unfortunately their search facility still needs a bit of work (not surprising, as the site is still only a beta-test / pilot).
E.g. a search for surname "Corbett", place "Mitchelstown, Cork, Ireland" gives zero results. But taking out the "Mitchelstown" gives nearly 2000 including many civil marriage/death records for "Mitchelstown Registration District (Cork or Limerick, Ireland)".
I've already mentioned this to them under feedback.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 August 09 08:13 BST (UK) »
...I assume that due to the 1922 fires, most (all?) of the original BMD certificates were destroyed. So the reference in the Irish Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958 is as far as we can go?

All Civil records are intact and you can order research certs from the GRO using the index details from the familysearch site. Full BMD registration stared in 1864. Non-Catholic marriages were recorded from 1845.

GRO webpage - www.groireland.ie

the details they require are :
  Name
  record type (e.g. birth)
  registration district
  year/quarter
  volume
  page

the other details listed on the index are familysearch/LDS references and do not apply to the GRO

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 August 09 08:57 BST (UK) »
I've had a quick look. The results give the equivalent of the information in the UK GRO indexes, correct? (i.e. for all BMD records - year, quarter, surname, given name(s), volume, page; plus for death records - age, estimated birth year; plus for birth records - mother's surnames)

P.S. Unfortunately their search facility still needs a bit of work (not surprising, as the site is still only a beta-test / pilot).
E.g. a search for surname "Corbett", place "Mitchelstown, Cork, Ireland" gives zero results. But taking out the "Mitchelstown" gives nearly 2000 including many civil marriage/death records for "Mitchelstown Registration District (Cork or Limerick, Ireland)".
Shane has already explained that the civil registrations are complete.
As soon as the Pilot site was released we realised that there were certain ways of obtaining results that were more effective than others and there's a thread on search tips somewhere which I'll post a link to later.
Meanwhile, here's a sample-
Put "Corbett" in last name box and click 'search' (5,600 results for all Ireland)
Click 'place' and select 'Cork' (now down to 866 results)
From here there are several ways to go-
1. if looking for a particular event (say births in 1870s)- select 'birth' under 'events' and '1870-1879' under 'date'.
2. if looking for a death it is sometimes easier doing birth search (there might be 20 John Corbetts who died 1900-1910 but if you are looking for one born 1825 selecting 'birth' '1820-1829' might bring up only 1 or 2)
3. if trying to find all Corbetts in Mitchelstown registration district use your computer (on mine it's Edit then Find on toolbar) to scan down the page and then note each entry.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 August 09 12:02 BST (UK) »
Found the site which discusses searching LDS Pilot site-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355762.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!