Author Topic: Govan Query - local knowledge appreciated  (Read 995 times)

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
Govan Query - local knowledge appreciated
« on: Monday 20 February 06 00:19 GMT (UK) »
I would be grateful if someone could locate Springfield Buildings, Govan for me.  The reference is: 1871 Census, 644/09 064/09/ 003.  The address in the census seems a bit vague.

In 1881, some of my family were in Maclean Street, Govan.  I have found this on modern maps, but I would like to know whether the buildings in that road are much as they would have been in 1881 or whether they have been replaced.

Thank you.

Dimps
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Govan Query - local knowledge appreciated
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 06 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Govan Parish in those days was considerably larger than it is now I believe maclean Street used to be in what is now simply referred to as Partick ,just off of Stewartville Street.

There is nothing left of any of the pre 1900 buildings in that area (except perhaps the Burgh Hall). Many of the tenements which were built in the area were constructed in the late 1890's early 1900's and a great deal were in turn demolished from the 1960's onwards.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 06 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Maclean Street was a short street (certainly by 1892) and the valuation rolls for 1913 also indicate that at that time there were only a few buildings there.

National Library of Scotland Ordnance Survey maps  map square V1 5.14

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/   click on Valuation Rolls and enter Maclean Street and you will see the 1913/1914 valuation rolls and lists of tenants

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 06 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the information, Robert.  I'll have a look at those links.

Dimps
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline WILLIAM 1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 22:32 GMT (UK) »
brown family mcclinton (and variants), mcfarlane, buchanan,murray,caskie(and variants) hay family. mcpherson family.mckenzie.whiteside.nichol

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 22:49 GMT (UK) »
try the mitchell library they hold everything to do with scotland

Not quite  :D

The Mitchell is primarily a source for the west of Scotland mainly Lanarkshire and the adjoining counties although I do believe they are trying to extend their collections.

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks William and Robert.  I'll have a look at the link.

Best wishes
Dimps