Author Topic: Address Search  (Read 3608 times)

Offline val552

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Address Search
« on: Monday 20 February 06 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Can someone please help. On National Archives address look up for 1901 census, I am looking for 24 and 76 Brighton Grove in Newcastle on Tyne. Results start at 78, where are the numbers below this

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
Re: Address Search
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 06 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val522
As the 1901 is not searchable by address so if you post full details of who you hoped to have been living there I will have a look for you.

Joe  :)
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline val552

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 06 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Joe
I am unsure as to what name would be where, but Wilson was my Mums maiden name and she lived at 76 Brighton Grove with friends/relatives surname Geldard
and her Mum Ethel May Wilson lived at 24 Brighton Grove,
Do you know why the address search I did on National Archives would have started at 78 ?

Thanks
Val

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 06 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Val I cant find it., but if you have Ethel Mays Birth year and place of birth i will look for her

Joe
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline val552

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 February 06 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joe
Sorry but don't have much info on this at all, but we do know that Ethel May Wilson died when my Mum was about 11 years old. My mum was born in 1923. We don't know if she eventually married my Mums father or someone else, but her fathers name was John Mitchinson.
not put on birth certificate. He was deceased when my Mum married in 1947. She got married from 76 Brighton Grove at the church across the road.
This is an absolute nightmare could do with Miss Marple
Thanks for your help and any ideas on where to look would be greatly appreciated
Val

Offline Richardj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Val
I know it doesn't help with 1901, but in 1936 a J P Geldart was living at 24.  He was a joiner.  At 76 there was a J N Hudson, draughtsman.  The only Wilson in the street was at 8½ (yes half) who was a Mrs A Wilson, confectioner.  Note, only the householder is listed.

Richard
BARNWELL - Donagh, Monaghan; Kilmore, Monaghan; Newcastle upon Tyne; Seaton Delaval, Northumberland; Jarrow, County Durham: BOUTLAND - Bill Quay, Newcastle, Byker; IRONSIDE - Aberdeenshire; JOHNSON - Thornton le Moor, Darlington, Newcastle; JOHNSTON(E) - New Deer, Old Deer, Ellon; LEADBITTER - N Yorkshire, Newcastle; NESHAM/NEASHAM - Newcastle, Byker, North Shields, Monkwearmouth; MITCHELL - New Deer, New Pitsligo, Newcastle

Offline Richardj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Val

One further thought.  Try looking at the Historical Directories web site for these addresses.  There are a number available covering Newcastle over a range of years.  I find the Ward's ones are probably the most complete as some others only concentrate on the professional folks.

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/

The site can be a bit slow at times and it can take time to find your way around to the right pages.

Richard
BARNWELL - Donagh, Monaghan; Kilmore, Monaghan; Newcastle upon Tyne; Seaton Delaval, Northumberland; Jarrow, County Durham: BOUTLAND - Bill Quay, Newcastle, Byker; IRONSIDE - Aberdeenshire; JOHNSON - Thornton le Moor, Darlington, Newcastle; JOHNSTON(E) - New Deer, Old Deer, Ellon; LEADBITTER - N Yorkshire, Newcastle; NESHAM/NEASHAM - Newcastle, Byker, North Shields, Monkwearmouth; MITCHELL - New Deer, New Pitsligo, Newcastle

Offline val552

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 19:01 GMT (UK) »
 ???
Thanks for your time Richard, maybe I have had the spelling wrong all along because the friend/relative head of the household at 76 Brighton Grove was called Jim which fits with the info you have found.  Can you tell me which site you got the 1936 info from please, I am such a novice at this and only as yet use 2 sites 1837 online and Ancestry. co uk
Thanks
Val

Offline Richardj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Val

I got this off a disk I have of a Directory for that year. 

The site I mentioned is well worth a look - especially as it is free.  I think the latest one listed there for Newcastle is for 1916 but can't be sure.  With these directories, once you have located your folks, you can track their movements through the area.

Richard