Author Topic: Help  (Read 2546 times)

Offline desperatley seeking shirley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help
« on: Thursday 23 September 04 17:25 BST (UK) »
I'm very new to this geneology business and can't seem to find any records that i am look for. The only information i have on my grandfather is his name and possible birth place. Has anyone got any suggestions?  I am also trying to find out old brewery records to try and locate my great grandfather as he used to run a pub but don't really know where to look for these either!! ??? Any help would be great   ???
Shirley, Sharples, Wood & Maycock

Any info on these names in or around the Derby/Warwick areas desperatley needed!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 September 04 17:37 BST (UK) »
I'm very new to this geneology business and can't seem to find any records that i am look for. The only information i have on my grandfather is his name and possible birth place. Has anyone got any suggestions because everywhere i look seems to be pre 1901.  I am also trying to find out old brewery records to try and locate my great grandfather as he used to run a pub but don't really know where to look for these either!!  Any help would be great   

Any info on these names in or around the Derby/Warwick areas desperatley needed!

Offline cassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 September 04 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
Think you will have to go to the Family Records Office in London to look through the birth indexs to locate your grandfathers birth, you can then order the certificate and it will tell you where he was born.

Some large librarys have these indexs on microfish...if you are not near London.  You can also look online at www.1837.com (i think!!) But this can be a bit expensive if you have no idea of his birth date.

Have you looked at www.familysearch.org

On there you can look at the UK 1881 census, this might help you trace your great grandfather.

Good Luck
 ;D

Collinson   Birkenhead/Liverpool 
Barnes      Cheshire
Fox            Lancashire
Cargill       Liverpool/Leeds
Lowe        Stafford

All census information in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ange

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 September 04 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Have you tried FreeBMD? you may find his birth on there which will save you a few quid. Once you have found his birth the best thing would be to send for the certificate, this will give you his parents names whom you can then look for in the 1901 census.
If you have a look at this thread  http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3996.0 you will find links to a lot of interesting sites, including FreeBMD, 1837online and one of the boards (I can't remember which) has some links for Pubs/Publicans.
Try posting what you know about your grandfather and we will try to help you as much as we can. ;D
Ange ;D
researching: Evans, Smith, Soundie, Brookfield, Frost, Douglas, Heron, Weaver,Redmond, Blackford, Furmedge & McKittrick

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Help
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 September 04 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, Your best bet if you know your grandfather's birthplace and a rough idea of date is to go through the Parish registers there and find his christening which should also give his parents and presumably this will take you back before 1900 and you should then be able to find them on the various censuses. If he kept a pub after 1900 it might be difficult to find as there were so many different small breweries. If you know the area of the pub local newspapers can often come up with good information

Al

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 September 04 21:09 BST (UK) »
thanks all for your help, this has certainl given me a starting point.  :D

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 September 04 21:16 BST (UK) »
when was he born roughly and where - we can work from there.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 September 04 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hello There.

We have all been desperate at some time or another, it seems to go hand in glove with Family Research.

However! You have come to the right place. Rootschat is a super site, fantastic.

If you are not sure what to do next, just go into the beginners
forum, post your ancestors name , approx date of birth, and place of birth. There may be some one out there who can help you.

If it happens that The Moderators of the site, feel that  your
question can be better answered else where, then it will be
moved to the best forum for you. You have nothing to lose,
but may gain ever such a lot.

Good Hunting

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 September 04 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi There ;D

if you go to the link below you will get some information on researching pubs -

http://www.rootschat.couk/forum/indexphp?topic=9140.0

Good Hunting

Darcy ;)
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk