Author Topic: Elusive Wilson  (Read 1336 times)

Offline anner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elusive Wilson
« on: Monday 20 February 06 21:44 GMT (UK) »
After hundreds of hours and same amount of money, I still cannot find Robert Wilson. I have searched all of SP to no avail. Right name wrong parents. So has anyone any ideas.
 Robert Wilson son of Thomas and Mary wilson nee (looks like) Tyre. I have tried every variation of Tyre and cannot find a marraige certificate. Robert was born around 1863/4 and married at 21 Maryhill, Lived in the barracks as was a Gunner with the Royal Field Artillery. He died pre 1917 when his son got married.
 And I cant find his death certificate, so am assuming he died in the war.
 Robert Wilson is my g.grandfather and by not finding anything on him cant go further back on his side. :-[
 Has anyone any ideas to help me.
Thanking everyone in advance.
Anner.
Scotland:Ross, Wilson, Slater, Reid, White.
England: Todd, Butterworth, Bearpark, Angell, Spreadborough,
to name but a few.

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive Wilson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

What was the name of Robert Wilson's wife? With that you can check the census, to give an idea where he was born.

From what document did you get the name of Robert's mother? If you can scan the document, and attach it to the posting, maybe someone will be able to figure it out. If it was from his marriage certificate, were his parents living or deceased, and what was the home address for his wife?

I did find a Mary Wilson living in Maryhill.

1881 Census
24 Kelvin St
Maryhill, Lanark, Scotland

Mary WILSON Widow 44  F  Renton, Dunbarton, Scotland
Head
Out Door Worker
Thomas WILSON   17 M  Renton, Dunbarton, Scotland
Son
Iron Miner
Jane WILSON    9  F  Maryhill, Lanark, Scotland
Daur
Scholar
Wm. WILSON    7  M  Maryhill, Lanark, Scotland
Son
Scholar

Here is a Robert Wilson who was a soldier in 1881.

1881 Census
Institution:"Soldiers Barracks" Hamilton
Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland

Robert WILSON   U   20    M
Birthplace: England
Inmate
Private Soldier

I also found a birth for a Robert Wilson in England with father Thomas and Mother Mary. If you look at his place of birth, it is "Tyne" Northumberland, England. Could this be what you thought was his mother's last name?

ROBERT Wilson WILSON  
Birth: 
Christening:  10 MAR 1861   All Saints, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England
Father:  THOMAS WILSON  
Mother:  MARY ANN 

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Going on the assumption that the Robert Wilson born in Northumberland is him, I looked at the 1881 census for the same area, and found these.

34 Union St
Newcastle On Tyne All Sts, Northumberland, England

Thomas WILSON   Head   M   Male   38   Newcastle On Tyne   Clerk Unemployed     
Mary Ann A. WILSON    Wife   M   Female   40   Newcastle On Tyne       
James WILSON   Son      Male   15   Newcastle On Tyne   Engine Fitter At Works     
Isabella WILSON   Daur      Female   11   Newcastle On Tyne   Scholar     
Thomas WILSON   Son      Male   5   Newcastle On Tyne   Scholar     
Julius B. WILSON   Son      Male   2   Newcastle On Tyne     

1 Brewery St
Westgate, Northumberland, England

Thomas WILSON   Head   M   Male   47   Bill Quay, Northumberland, England   Saw Mill Manager     
Mary A. WILSON   Wife   M   Female   43   Corfus B Sub, Greece       
James M. WILSON   Son   U   Male   18   Newcastle O Tyne, Northumberland, England   Joiner (Appretice )     
Mary A. WILSON    Daug   U   Female   16   Newcastle O Tyne, Northumberland, England   Music Teacher (Musician)     
Emma WILSON   Daug      Female   11   Newcastle O Tyne, Northumberland, England   Scholar     
Margaret W. WILSON   Daug      Female   8   Newcastle O Tyne, Northumberland, England   Scholar     
Thomas H.M. WILSON   Son      Male   6   Newcastle O Tyne, Northumberland, England       
Florance E. WILSON   Daug      Female   3   Newcastle O Tyne, Northumberland, England       
Ethel J. WILSON   Daug      Female   11 m   Newcastle O Tyne, Northumberland, England 

5 Office Row
Burradon In Tynemouth, Northumberland, England

Thomas WILSON   Head   M   Male   51   Fawdon, Northumberland, England   Coal Miner     
Mary WILSON   Wife   M   Female   51   West Moor, Northumberland, England       
John W. WILSON   Son   U   Male   18   Barrington, Northumberland, England   Coal Miner     
Honour WILSON    Daur      Female   16   Barrington, Northumberland, England       
Mary WILSON   Daur      Female   14   Sleekburn, Northumberland, England       
Richard WILSON   Son      Male   7   Burradon, Northumberland, England   Scholar     

There were two marriages for a Thomas Wilson and Mary's that I found who were married before Robert's birth.

THOMAS GASS WILSON 
MARY SANDWITH 

Marriage:  17 SEP 1854   All Saints, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England

THOMAS WILSON 
MARY MINICAN 

Marriage:  01 SEP 1855   All Saints, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England

Possibly one of these will look like the name on the document you have.

Hope this helps.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline anner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Janice. My God you have really opened my eyes. I thought there may be an English connection.
On Robert  wedding certificate dated 1885, both parents were alive although they have not witnessed his marraige and it is the same place I got his mothers name from. Robert  married a Janet Slater in 1885 and I have found her certs. all in Scotland, around Blytheswood etc. so assumed all the Wilsons came from the same area. I think I am wrong now.
 On the Thomas and Mary side on the certificate it doesnt say where they were from but Thomas is listed as a Flour Miller/ journeyman.
 On looking at the cert yesterday I had wondered if it was a second marraige of Thomas and Mary, so that would have tied in with my thoughts.
 Again thank you and I will certainly be looking into the English connection.
Anner.
 :)
to name but a few.

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If you know the names of Robert and Janet's children, and possibly their spouses, you can probably narrow down the date of death for Robert as it would say on their marriage and or death certs if he was deceased or not. You can also check the census records for 1891, 1901. This should tell you for certain if Robert was from England or not.

Also, if you think he may have died during the war, it could possibly be the Boer War considering his age.

There are quite a few R. Wilson's listed on the "Commonwealth War Graves" site, for the 1st World War, but most of them were too young.

Hope this helps.

Janice

Offline anner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Janice. I have on Robert Jnrs marraige cert that his father was dead, he got married in 1917. Ann Wilson got married a year later 1918. On those he is registered as already deceased.
 I have checked the census' and couldnt find him on any of them, but also couldnt find his wife Janet. I have found their children living with Janets parents in Glasgow on the 1901 census. Niether of them are there though.
 I then checked the English census for England and have found a Janet Wilsons at the right age living in Northumberland. I am still looking for her on the 1891 census, but cant find her on the Scottish one.
 This would suggest to me that one of the family's from Northumberland would be Roberts. I havent yet found him on the census for 1901 there though.
 I cant wait till the next census is online to see what happened to the children as Janets parents died in 1901 and 1903.
   It seems that history repeated itself as Robert Jnr and his wife gave my father to Roberts sister Ann. My dad was told that his parents had died soon fter his birth in a car crash. Imagine my horror when I found their death certs for 1945 and 1947. My dad was born in 1922.
 I think that is why I am finding it hard to go back as no one ever spoke of the Scottish side of the family so verifying names is quite hard.
  I do find it fascinating though and they had their reasons, and you cant change history.
 Back to more trawling. :)
Anner.
to name but a few.