Author Topic: Info on Cain/Kennaugh/Muncaster family from Douglas 1800s  (Read 2689 times)

Offline globby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Info on Cain/Kennaugh/Muncaster family from Douglas 1800s
« on: Tuesday 21 February 06 23:02 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on Thomas Cain (DOB Unknown) from Douglas who married a Jane Kennaugh (1801?) who had three children John (1835) /Frances (1830) and Thomas (1828.

Jane later met and married  a Thomas Muncaster (6/4/1814) a publican and they had a daugher Ann Muncaster around 1840 so he would have had three step children as well.

I cannot find any trace of what happened to Thomas, did he die or divorce Jane and what was his date of birth also where did he marry. St Georges Street has been mentioned,is there a  church there?.

I need his family details so I can go further back and am planning a trip to IOM in August so I can maybe look up some church records or grave stones if they still exist.

Any information or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Offline rcorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Info on Cain/Kennaugh/Muncaster family from Douglas 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 06 00:17 GMT (UK) »
The marriage record for Jane and Thomas Muncaster should tell you if she is a widow or not. 

Assuming Thomas Cain died, there are two possible burials (www.lawsons.ca) that could be your Thomas Cain (between 1834 when John was conceived and Aug 1837 when Jane married Muncaster):
CAIN, Thomas  39  Jur  28 Oct 1835   
CAIN, Thomas  37  Mal  30 Dec 1836   
The second seems more likely since it happened in Malew which is where Thomas and Jane married and where their children were baptised.

Interms of Wills these are the likely entries:
CAIN, Thomas  1836  Dgs   A  9  0106248 
CAIN, Thomas  1837  Mal   A  17  0106248 
CAIN, Thomas  1837  Mal   E  1  0106437
With it probably being one of the last two.  (NB: the 7 digit numbers at the end are LDS film numbers and the number preceeding it is the reference number within the film.)

While on the IGI I also noticed these baptisms for father = Thomas Cain, mother = Jane Kennaugh
THOMAS CAIN -  Christening: 30 NOV 1823 Malew, Isle Of Man [two infant Thomas Cain's listed in the burial index for Malew in 1824]
ELIZABETH CAIN -  Christening: 25 DEC 1825 Malew, Isle Of Man
THOMAS CAINE -  Christening: 22 JUN 1827 Malew, Isle Of Man [perhaps a mistranscription or double transcription of the 1828 entry?]
THOMAS CAIN -  Christening: 22 JUN 1828 Malew, Isle Of Man
FRANCES CAIN -  Christening: 23 NOV 1830 Malew, Isle Of Man
JANE ANNE CAIN -  Christening: 15 APR 1833 Malew, Isle Of Man
JOHN CAIN -  Christening: 26 FEB 1835 Malew, Isle Of Man
JOHN CAIN -  Christening: 03 JAN 1836 Malew, Isle Of Man

(There were another two burials for adult Thomas Cain's in the index but for much older men are unlikely:
CAIN, Thomas  69  Onc  14 Apr 1836   
CAIN, Thomas  68  Mal  7 Mar 1837)

Hope some of this helps.
Bouncing emails

England: Green, Povey, Bedford, Bridgland, Catlin, Patton
Scotland: Fraser, Kennedy, Kelly, Hean, Higgins
Isle of Man: Corris, Faragher, Corkill, Shimmin

Offline globby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Info on Cain/Kennaugh/Muncaster family from Douglas 1800s
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 06 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks,

This information will help immensely thank you for your time.