Author Topic: Census Lookup & any other info - McQuarrie/Fairley/Gordon  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Elain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Census Lookup & any other info - McQuarrie/Fairley/Gordon
« on: Wednesday 22 February 06 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for Nicholas McQuarrie poss born 11 May 1898 Kirkintilloch???

His mother's name was Margaret Fairley and father poss Donald McQuarrie.

I know that Margaret Fairley later married Joseph Gordon (poss Kirkintilloch) and had children named Annie (poss 1903/1904 and died 1906 Airdrie), Joseph, Maggie, Nellie, Mary and Willie.  Some of the children were born in Kirkintilloch and poss Airdrie.

Margaret Fairley and Joseph Gordon settled in Airdrie until they died.

Can anyone help me to find this family.

Thanks.....Elaine

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Census Lookup & any other info - McQuarrie/Fairley/Gordon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 06 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This is the only family with a Donald McQuarrie that I could find living near Lanarkshire in 1881.

Ford Cottage
West Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
Donald MACQUARRIE   M   50    M   Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Sailmaker
Elizabeth MACQUARRIE   M   47    F   Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
   Rel:   Wife
John MACQUARRIE   U   22    M   Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
   Rel:   Son
   Occ:   Merchants Clerk
Margaret McL. MACQUARRIE   U   18    F   Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
   Rel:   Daur
Elizabeth MACQUARRIE   U   16    F   Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
   Occ:   Drapers Assistant
Mary MACQUARRIE       13    F   Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
   Occ:   Scholar
Donald MACQUARRIE       11    M   Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
   Rel:   Son
Sarah MACQUARRIE       9    F   Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Elain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 06 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janice.   Thanks for that info.   This might be who I am looking for but not sure as I don't have any info about Donald or his family.  No-one in my family knows anything.  I only know Donald's and Margaret Fairley names from their son's Nicholas 2nd marriage cert in 1940.   I have not much to go on and so far I have not been able to find any of them but they must be somewhere.  The only areas that I have been told are Kirkintilloch, Cowie and Airdrie (Lanarkshire).

Can you tell me if this Donald is on an earlier or later census anywhere?

Nicholas's daughter who is in her 80's told me that Margaret Fairley did not marry Donald and that Nicholas was born illegimate and that he was born in Kirkintilloch and that Joseph Gordon came from Kirkintilloch or Cowie but settled in Airdrie.

Could I ask you to look for Nicholas McQuarrie or MacQuarrie birth I am sure I have the right birth date - 11 May 1898?

I know that Margaret Fairley died in 1912 aged 37 poss born 1875 and Joseph Gordon died 1949 aged 77 poss born 1872 in Kirkintilloch or Cowie (same headstone - Airdrie, Lanarkshire).  They had children Annie born 1903/1904 died 1906, Joseph 1908, Maggie, Nellie, Mary and Willie.   My Aunt told me that some of these children were born Kirkintilloch and others in Airdrie as Joseph moved back and forward for work.

Can you have a look for me and see if you can find anything from the info that I have given.   Do you have any advice on how can I find this family and where I can search?

I would very much appreciate your help.

Thanks.Elaine

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 06 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elain,

You can reference census records from 1861 to 1901, birth certificates from 1855 to 1905, Marriage certificates from 1855 to 1930 and death certificates from 1855 to 1955 on the www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk site.  Here you can search for your family and view the images of the census/registers.  It operates as pay per view rather than subscription - 30 credits cost £6.  Viewing the results of a search will cost you 1 credit (per page of results) and viewing an image costs 5 credits.

You can also search the pre-1855 births and marriages on this site, but there are no images of them to view as yet.

I have done the bulk of my research using the site (from the comfort of my own spare room!) and would say it is about the best source for Scottish research online.

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline Elain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 06 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire thanks for your advice I will look at this website and register and hopefully I can find my family there.

I appreciate your advice.

Thanks....Elaine

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 06 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am sure that you will find out some good information on there - I found loads!

Also, if you are looking for any local knowledge of Kirkintilloch - I grew up there and my grandmother still lives there, so I can try and help out with place names etc.

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline Elain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 06 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare

Thanks for that - I will get back to about Kirkintilloch knowledge.

Regards,
Elaine