Author Topic: Stewart/Moore/Douall in Donegal  (Read 8536 times)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
Stewart/Moore/Douall in Donegal
« on: Wednesday 29 September 04 19:52 BST (UK) »
Richard Stewart was born in Donegal (Parish unknown) about 1831, he was the son of  Richard Stewart, a farmer, and Anne Moore.

Catherine Stewart was born in Donegal (Parish unknown) about 1836.  She was the daughter of Thomas Stewart, a farmer, and Mary Douall or Dowall.
Catherine also had a sister Jane born in Ireland bet. 1831/1836. 
Jane eventually married Joseph Salisbury in Duntocher, DNB. Nov. 6, 1866.

Richard Stewart married Catherine Stewart Aug. 24, 1857 at the Church of Scotland, Duntocher, Dumbartonshire.  The bride and groom were noted to be second cousins, and one of the witnesses is Edward Moore, who might also be a cousin or an Uncle?
Richard & Catherine had a large family in Duntocher, and descendants still live in the Village.

I would really like to find further info on Richard Stewart & Ann Moore, also Thomas Stewart & Mary Douall in Donegal.  Richard & Thomas must have been 1st cousins?
Does anyone recognize this family group or have suggestions on where I might look next?

Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart/Moore/Douall in Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 October 04 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi.

There is a richard stewart in the Griffiths valuation which in donegal was taken in 1857. He is in Rosscad, parish of Clondahorky. This may be the father. What did it say about him on the marriage certificate of his son?

There are lots of Thomas Stewarts in Brockagh, Claggan, Cloghernagh, Faugher, Kill, Port and Rockhill  all in Clondahorky too and others in other parishes.

I think you have to go to parish records to further follow these lines.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 October 04 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

Thank you so much for telling me about the Griffiths valuation.  Is there really only ONE Richard Stewart listed in 1857 Donegal?  Oh my..... If that's the case - I have almost certainly found my man.  Well, if nothing else it's a very solid lead that will require further investigation!

On the marriage cert. of Richard Stewart, and Catherine Stewart in 1857 DNB, it notes that the groom's Father Richard Stewart is a farmer, and his wife is Ann Moore. 
The Bride's father is Thomas Stewart, farmer - deceased, and wife is Mary Douall.

Would you know if the Clondahorky parish registers are available?  This is my first foray into the Irish sides of the family, and I'm not as familiar with what may and may not be available.

Oooh this is rather exciting! 
Debbie
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 October 04 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Griffiths Valuation index I used is not 100% reliable but it's pretty good. I'd start there anyway.

Clondahorky is in Dunfanagh catholic parish. The National Library in Dublin and the Church of the latter day saints have microfilms of baptisms from 1877 only so that's no use to you.

http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/fuses/rcparishmaps/index.cfm?fuseaction=showidrecords&parish=Clondahorkey&churchid=1010

The heritage centre business called Donegal ancestry are said to have them from 1856. This is for commissioned research only. I have never used these people so I cannot vouch for them and anyway it's again too late but it may be worth contacting to doublecheck the dates they have.

This is all if they were catholic. If they were protestant which is more likely, as they were married COS, Dunfanaghy records are available from 1853 only in the representative church body library and the national archives both in Dublin.

By the way, just found another Richard Stewart in Fahan Lower T/Buncrana/William Street in the Griffith's Valuation in a different index of it.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hiflyte/gv_surnames_s2.htm

Fahan Lower COI records are available from 1817 in the representative church body library and the national archives.

Other than that you can try tithe books from 1823 to 1867.

This probably raises more questions than it answers, sorry!

Kate

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 October 04 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

You are right, this does raise more questions!
I just looked at the Fahan Lower entry for Richard, and I see that there is also a Mary Stewart listed in Buncrana.  This could possibly be the widow of Richard's cousin Thomas Stewart.  So, yet again, another solid lead.

Another avenue I thought of checking was the maiden surnames of Douall and Moore.  Perhaps the distribution of these names will also help me to narrow down the search areas?

Debbie

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 October 04 20:11 BST (UK) »
Debbie,

I see no Douall's at all. None. Anywhere in Ireland during the Griffiths Valuation. Could be a mispelling of Doyle perhaps? Or Daly?
There are quite a few Moore's in Donegal. See this site to search

http://members.cox.net/hayes1966/griffiths.htm

Kate

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

I never have been 100% comfortable with the DOUALL spelling.  On her son Richard's death cert. the spelling is Dowall.  I'm guessing that on both occasions the clerk recorded it as it sounded to his ears - maybe it is Doull... or perhaps Doole or Duel?
Thank you for that web site link, I am going to go check it out.   :)
Debbie

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 March 05 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debbie,

I've just registered. Have you tried Dowdall ? There were a number of them in Ireland.
I have lived most of my life in Ireland and still live here. I was educated in Ireland and have travelled extensively thoughout the country for many years. It appears that this is becoming very useful nowdays in assisting people obtain the correct spelling of surnames and townlands.

Best wishes with your search.

Christopher

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 March 05 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip Christopher, I have not thought of Dowdall, and will certainly keep it in mind!!

Chreers,
Debbie   :)