Author Topic: Ampthill Workhouse  (Read 6963 times)

Offline suffolkboyswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ampthill Workhouse
« on: Thursday 23 February 06 08:21 GMT (UK) »
It has been discovered, with the help of another member on this site, that my Gt Gt Gt Grandma was in the Ampthill workhouse during the 1871 census.  I have since discovered that she died in Ampthill in the June quarter of 1871 and so I will be sending for death cert. soon as it looks like she she may have died in the workhouse.  The strange thing is that her husband was at home with the children during the 1871 census.  Why would my Gt Gt Gt Grandma be in the workhouse down as a pauper straw plaiter, but my Gt Gt Gt Grandad was at home with the children most of whom were working themselves.  My Gt Gt Gt Grandma's name was Maria Brown born in 1831.  In the 1881 census their youngest daughter (Rosa) was in the workhouse aged 12, I discovered that my Gt Gt Gt Grandad died in 1874 so she was an orphan at 4/5 years old  :( but why didn't any of the other brothers and sisters look after her?

I would be interested in any information on any aspect of the Ampthill workhouse if anyone has access to it and is willing to share it with me.
Lincolnshire - Keightley   Randell/Randall, Clark(e), Brooks, Neave, Horton, Fidel, Wilson
Bedfordshire - Brown, James, Plowman
Suffolk - Smith (Fressingfield),Catchpole, Blo(o)mfield, Leftley, Vincent
Nottinghamshire - Fenton, Weightman, Laycock, Wilson
Norfolk - Claxton, Todd, Fiddaman,

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suffolkboyswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ampthill Workhouse
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 06 17:10 GMT (UK) »
I have received Maria's death cert. and she died from TB (although another much longer phrase was used on the cert) so that would explain why she was in workhouse.  I didn't realise that the workhouse was for those who were ill as well as those who were destitute, presumably she was placed there because they didn't want the rest of the family to contract the disease.
Lincolnshire - Keightley   Randell/Randall, Clark(e), Brooks, Neave, Horton, Fidel, Wilson
Bedfordshire - Brown, James, Plowman
Suffolk - Smith (Fressingfield),Catchpole, Blo(o)mfield, Leftley, Vincent
Nottinghamshire - Fenton, Weightman, Laycock, Wilson
Norfolk - Claxton, Todd, Fiddaman,

Offline Redvers King

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Just read yr posting. Think you hit the nail on the head. The (better?) workhouses were indeed used as hospitals back then, cos hospitals as we know them just didn't exist for "ordinary" folk
My own ancestor, John TIMMS, died in the Ampthill Union W:house back in 1841, which shocked me at first because he should (theoretically) have had some financial status being ex-farmer and publican.
Although by then a widower he too had lots of grown children in the area. Then I read the records of the workhouse available online and found he'd entered the establishment several months earlier with a badly cut hand. This was attributably to the poor old chap's death.
Red

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 16:52 BST (UK) »
Someone told me today one of my relations, born out of wedlock, in 1916 was born in the Bedford Workhouse. The address on her birth certificate is 3 Kimbolton Road Bedford & informant is J Wildsmith.  On the 1910 Kelly's directory (via the Historical Directories site) this address is confirmed as the Union House with Joseph Wildsmith : Master.

Now before today I put the place of birth to be Bedford North Wing Hospital, as babies are born in hospitals, and as a Bedford resident that is the address of the hospital.

Now reading what's been posted here, was my relative born there due to her shameful circumstances or for medical reasons ? 

John  
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------