Author Topic: The Thorpe family of Fairlight  (Read 13751 times)

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The Thorpe family of Fairlight
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 October 04 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Christopher was christened in Hollington in 1676.

I know nothing more regarding Christopher but his daughter Hannah married her cousin another Christopher Thorpe and they are the two Thorpes that are buried in the large box tombs near to the door of Guestling Church.  Again I am not certain of the occupations but their decendents were major farmers in the Fairlight and Pett areas.  Sadly all this wealth has now disappeared from the family my grandfather Arthur Thorpe was only a farm hand.  Such is life.

Regards

Roger
Thorpe (East Sussex), Wenham (East Sussex) Willett (East Sussex and Kent) Ades (East Sussex) Rushton (Staffordshire Moorlands) Finney (Staffordshire Moorlands) Wheeldon (Staffordshire Moorlands) Critchlow (Staffordshire Moorlands)

Offline Neilio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 July 12 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hello!
I am researching my Thorpe line and it ends with William and Diana (Frost) Thorpe.  Both born in 1810 (give or take a year).  William was born in Fairlight.  Their children: Samuel Slater (born 1838), Elizabeth A, and William B.

Do these names pop in any of your information?  And, why were there so many Thorpes in Fairlight?

Thanks!

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 July 12 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Neilio

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

William Thorpe
Baptised at Fairlight on 23 Jan 1809
Son of William & Ruth Thorpe

Mum & Dads marriage ?
From Sussex Marriage Index

At Whatlington
1 Oct 1807 by Licence
William Thorpe & Ruth Elliott

Hope this helps

Kind Regards
omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 July 12 13:58 BST (UK) »
My husband's tree includes one Mary Thorpe, who married John Delves in Wartling, Sussex, on 31/3/1802.  We have not, as yet, been able to ascertain who her parents or siblings might have been, and we can only guess that she was born in the 1780s.

Mary and John had children Elizabeth (1804), Louisa (1806), Henry (1809), Mary Ann (1815), John (1819), and Jane (1822-ish).  All the children were born in Wartling.

Might be connected, ... might not, too!  ::)
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 September 12 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Neilio

I have a huge number of Thorpes in my family tree including your William and Diana (Frost) Thorpe.  I have sent you a personal message with my email address so that we can exchange information more easily.

Kind regards

Roger
Thorpe (East Sussex), Wenham (East Sussex) Willett (East Sussex and Kent) Ades (East Sussex) Rushton (Staffordshire Moorlands) Finney (Staffordshire Moorlands) Wheeldon (Staffordshire Moorlands) Critchlow (Staffordshire Moorlands)

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 September 12 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb D

I am interested in your Delves - Thorpe connection.  I have a Mary Ann Delves who married Edward Chatterton in Tonbridge in 1801 and they had a son Joseph Delves Chatterton who married Harriet Stoneham Thorpe (one of my ancestors) in 1831 at Fairlight.  Could this Mary Ann Delves be one of your Delves and if so I wonder who the Mary Thorpe who married John Deves is?

Let me know if there is a connection via the Chatterton family.

Regards

Roger

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 September 12 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,

Your Mary Ann is somewhat farther upstream than I've been able to swim, so far.  John Delves, born about 1780, is the earliest I've found, and I don't know for sure who his parents were ... although there's a submitted record on the IGI for a John, son of John Delves and Catherine (nee Green).  Naturally, there's been no answer to my attempts to contact the submitter.

If it's any help, the name Mary Ann seems to be repeated generation after generation in the Delves family, right up until the 20th century.  One possible sibling of my John (1780) was a Mary born 1778 ... but she married John Faulkner at Framfield in 1799, which might rule her out.

Haven't run across any Chattertons yet ... nor a Harriet Stoneham Thorpe, ... but will keep my eyes open.

Cheers
Deb
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 September 12 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb

Thanks for replying.

Roger

Offline kate sowery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 December 16 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roger,

Firstly, Seasons Greeting to you ! My name is Kate And I live in NZ. Both my father's and mother's sides of the family emigrated here, my father emigrating here in 1951 and my mother's family emigrated here in 1921. In the early 1990's my parents and I (I was living and working in Manchester in law) went on extended tours of the UK, visiting places of interest to both sides of the family (my father's roots are in  Hull Yorkshire and my mother's in the South of England, Fordham, Hastings, Rye and Fairlight). To keep things brief for this introduction, on our return from these trips, my Great Uncle Spencer Chatterton (he was my mother's uncle)brought out an old tin trunk that traveled with his family from the UK to NZ in the early 1920's. A lot of old wills and lists of births, deaths and marriages from family bibles etc came to light and much research at the time was carried out, as the wealth of these documents became apparent. It has been a long time since I have looked at these documents and I don't know what prompted me but I googled Thorpe Fairlight Sussex UK the other day while revisiting these documents, and Roots Chat with your postings came up.It is immediately clear to me that your family and mine have connections to the same family. As I say, I have a folder full of original documents of the family's which I have transcribed and kept as copies with the originals. I would be more than happy to have these documents scanned and the copies sent to you for your information. As an example I set out a part transcript of a long list of the Chatterton- Thorpe connection that was set out in a single document, by whom it is not clear but it is very detailed:-

CHATTERTON Joseph Delves Born at Rye July  261804 supposed bap(tised) at Wersham or Pevensly died August 3 1857.    Married

THORPE  Harriette Stonham  April 12 1814 at Fairlight " (married) Church Fairlight bap at do(same). Died at 15 Frederisco (n) Place Mile End Road on Sunday morning at 1/4 past nine Jany 14th 1872.

Children:-

CHATTERTON James Thorpe Born 3. Oct 1832 Bap Fairlight Church at Rye died 10 Octr 1862.

do                 Joseph Delves  Born 2 Sep 1834       "     Rye      "

do                 Edward Stonham Born 22 Sepr 1838   bap Bow  "   

do                 Edgar                 Born 5 July 1840   bap Bow    "   died 4 Decr 1841

do                 Spencer              Born 24 June 1842   bap Bolvendew(?)   named at Bow.

do                 Harriette             Born 27 Octr 1846 Bap at Bow died 20 April 1862.

do                 Jane   supposed b. 9 or 10 Sep 1848  bap at Bow named at Bow at (?) died May 1849

do                 William                Born same week that Aunt Dillow (/) was married at Bow named at (?)  dead living about 3 days.

do                  Peter                    Born 27 April 1852 Bap at Bow    (this is my great grandfather)

Grandfather   CHATTERTON   Edward       died at Rye about 1846 buried at Rye
Grandmother DELVES Mary                     Born and died at T.W buried at Fairlight Church   
Grandfather   THORPE  James Manser        Born 13 April 1777 at Fairlight Married 2 or 3 Feb 1812 Died 10 Sepr 1855 buried at Fairlight.
Grandmother  THORPE Harriette Stonham   Born 26 Septr 1778 at Beckley  Sussex. Died May 1853.Buried at Fairlight.

Children of THORPE-

Harriette                 as above (that is  Harriette Stonham born April 12 1814)
Sarah Mary             Born 17 Octr 1815 at Fairlight Bap at Fairlight Married at Fairlight 17 Octr 1835
to John SMALLFIELD Born 12 Aug 1813 at Willersham (?) Kent.
As you can see it is possible to track the family's move from Sussex, to Bow in London, in the mid 1800's. I also noted another poster was interested in the DELVES connection, it is here also. The documents are many, for example there is correspondence between JANE MANSER (nee THORPE) SMALLFIELD and her Aunt MARY THORPE dated Brighton 4th (?) 1829 and Fairlight Sepr 11th 1829. It names several other family members and is a invaluable snapshot of the family interactions and concerns(relating to farming, the Brighton Fair for example) and wider contemporary social events.

I will leave this here and look forward to hearing from you in the New Year. Again I am happy to forward one way or another, any documents you maybe interested in as regards the family connections. I am sure this will find you an enthusiastic (if not surprised!!!) recipient
With regards  Kate.