Author Topic: Monumental Inscription Belhelvie Kirkyard Stone 16  (Read 1522 times)

Offline jimmyv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Monumental Inscription Belhelvie Kirkyard Stone 16
« on: Thursday 23 February 06 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone please tell me the full inscription on this Gravestone.  I have the following information so far that the stone records the names of Elizabeth VEALE, 11 Oct 1857; Mary Ann Veale, 19 June 1891;Richard VEALE,  25 Nov 1883; Margaret STORM, 6 Aug 1882.

My gr grandfather Richard VEALE married first Margaret STORM and second Mary Mackie.  This I know from his death certificate. However, he died in 1926 aged 81 years.  It seems logical that Margaret died young (if the dates above are dates of death she would have been about 41 yeas old.  Mary Ann Veale may be Mary Mackie, but who are Richard and Elizabeth.  Could they be children?  I do nto think they are parents because I have Richard's parent's as Francis Veale and Jane Robertson.  Any hepl appreciated.
Veale; Erswell, Storm (Berwick upon Tweed, Whitburn, Co Durham; Leith, Edinburgh; Holywood, Co Down; Aberdeen and NE Scotland, Elgin) Dearing (Bucks), Woodford (Bucks)

Offline Robert

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Monumental Inscription Belhelvie Kirkyard Stone 16
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The stone was erected by Richard Veale, coastguard in Belhelvie. His wife Margaret Storm died 6 August 1882 aged 38, his son Richard died 25 November 1883 aged 15, his daughter Elizabeth died 11 Oct 1887 age 12. Then it says Mary Ann Veale b. 19 June 1883- d. 23 April 1891. It doesn't state relationship for her.

Hope this helps,
Robert

Offline jimmyv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 06 09:58 BST (UK) »
Robert, thank you for your time and trouble. I have seen a photograph of the Kirkyard and it looks a tranquil place. Did you visit? I thought Mary Ann Veale may have been Richard (my paternal gr gr grandfather)'s second wife but the dates you have given mean she was just a young girl when she died.  The family seems to have had more than its fair share of tragedy.  Thanks again, Jim.
Veale; Erswell, Storm (Berwick upon Tweed, Whitburn, Co Durham; Leith, Edinburgh; Holywood, Co Down; Aberdeen and NE Scotland, Elgin) Dearing (Bucks), Woodford (Bucks)

Offline Robert

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 06 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

No problem, glad the info was useful. No I haven't been to the kirkyard, but I mean to go one day as there are a few gravestones I would like to see and photograph.

Best wishes,
Rob