Author Topic: Where have this family disappeared to?????  (Read 1941 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Where have this family disappeared to?????
« on: Friday 24 February 06 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Where are all the Burns family?   ???   :(   ???

I have been searching for so long for them that I know all their years of birth off by heart!   ::)

I have come to the conclusion that this side of the family have been abducted by aliens - Yes the whole lot of the except for my husband's Grandfather and his children. Even Pete's cousins don't know where they have all gone and they live in the area!

There must be someone out there who knows of them or is linked to them in some way. I would be really grateful to anyone who can help in any way. They seem to have disappeared after the 1901 census as I have most of them living at home with thier parents Hugh Burns and Jane Horsburgh.

It all starts with HUGH BURNS born about 1853 in Kelso Scotland. He was the son of Peter Burns b 1815 Ireland and his wife Agnes Nielson b 1814 Kelso.

Hugh married Jane Horsburgh b 1851 Berwick. She was the daughter of Alexander Horsburgh b 1818 Tyninghame, East Lothian and Elizabeth Blackhall b 1819 Oldhamstocks.

Hugh and Jane married in Dec 1875 in Hutton, Berwick and then moved down to Ford, Glendale, Northumberland where they had their first child - Peter James Burns b June 1876 Ford. Peter James is Pete's Grandfather and he married Catherine Elizabeth Turnbul b 1877 Dudley Colliery. She was the daughter of Thomas Turnbull b 1844 Kirknewton / Chillingham and Margaret Mills b 1849 Wooler. Peter and Catherine had 5 children between 1899 and 1916 - Hugh, Margaret, Thomas Alexander, Susannah Elizabeth and James William. They were living in Amble by 1913 and in 1916 were living at 7 Station Cottages, Amble where James was born. Peter was a platelayer

The other children of Hugh and Jane are as follows:

Alexander b 1877 Roker  d 1890 Ford

Hugh b 27 May 1878 Lowick,  d 25 june 1920 in Northumberland

William b Feb 1881 Tindale House, Twizel

John Aitchison b 1882 Ford

Elizabeth Jane b 25 Aug 1883, Ford,  d 25 Jan 1921 Northumberland

Agnes A.  b 1887 Ford

George b 1888 Ford

Robert b 1889 Ford.   Married Eleanor Thorlwell abt 1910 and had 8 children. Robert died in 1976 in Northumberland

James b Sept 1891 Kylo

David Alexander b Dec 1892 Rennington

Now there have to be relatives of Robert & Eleanors out there as one of their daughters, Mary Ann b 1919  married Falcus Hogg and had 3 children. One of their sons, William b 1914 married a lady named Patricia and had children.

Hugh born 1878 was blind and living with his uncle William Wallace in the 1901 census.

There could have been red hair in the family as one of Pete's cousins remembers the Grandfather - Peter James - being a big man with red hair. Peter and his wife Catherine died and were buried in Morpeth though we haven't been able to get to the cemetery to get any details.

Hugh was an Agricultural Labourer so they moved down the country and in 1901 were living at Hepscott Moor. William and John were Hinds and George was a Carter

Surely these children must have got married at some stage and had children who also had children?  So, somewhere out there are relatives who we would like to find.  If anyone has a link to them or knows of them please let me know   :-\

Thanks for reading

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where have this family disappeared to?????
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 February 06 18:49 GMT (UK) »
have you tried USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand??   ;D
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 06 19:10 GMT (UK) »

errrr - no  :-\

I hadn't even thought of there - How stupid am I? lol ???

Thanks Burrowdigger - I might just try them

Anyone know of any good boards that might help?

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 February 06 20:05 GMT (UK) »
IGI at familysearch  for late 1880s and early 1900s  ;D
Also the Ellis Island website.  :D

For Canada we have the 1911 census but theres no index.
Dont know if the 1901 for Canada is online or not.  ???

IF you have subcribed to Ancestry - you can start there looking for BMDs. IF you havent subscribed, you might want to think about it.   :-\

Aussie & NZ you might want to ask for help on the Oz and NZ boards here at Rootschat. I know the NZ one is very active. :)   Check the Emigrants boards. :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,136.0.html

Good luck  ;)

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 06 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help Burrow. I had got to the brick walls for my side of the family so time to start back with Pete's again.

Should be worth a few messages just to see what happens - either that or going upto Northumberland and going through every phone book looking for them (done that before with letters - sent 145 letters out in 2 weeks to every Burns in the very north of Northumberland. Turned out I was at the wrong end of the county  ::)  )

Carol