Author Topic: How do you get time off to do research?  (Read 3513 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: How do you get time off to do research?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 February 06 15:31 GMT (UK) »
We have a small hotel so for 6 months of the year I don't have time to turn around never mind doing anything on the tree. But winter is MY time. From November to Easter I sit at the computer and search, search, search. Luckily I am only 2 hours drive from the Records Office I need to use the most and family are there so mini breaks are regular even though they are wet and cold.

Saying that though, this year I have managed to go online even when we have guests in. It is surprising how many people get interested when you start to tell them about what you do. The conversation is usually started when they see the old photos I have on the wall in the TV Lounge. They have to know who they are and I just reel off the dates. Surprising as well how many start their own research when they get home. I often get emails asking for help from old guests.

My excuse to hubby is " I don't drink and I don't go out and I don't spend money like water so I should be allowed to have some time to myself" It works every time

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 06:05 GMT (UK) »
The worst problem is getting to an archive - I have only ever managed two visits to the local FHC, and two to Surrey Hisotry centre.

A visit to Cheshire Record office could knock holes through brickwalls
Berkshre Record office could trace a line further back, etc, etc.

I rely on the internet, and never manage to actualy see original reocrds.

However the help of fellow researchers has ogt me way back on one line

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline jakky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 10:06 GMT (UK) »
So Carol,

our famous Blackpool Landlady ;D ;D

now we have somewhere to stay when we have a meet in Blackpool, if of course you can be coaxed off the PC to cook breakfast that is,

mine would be a full English please ;)

Jakky
Thomas.  Wigan Bolton & Fleetwood
Wilcox. Liverpool & Fleetwood.
Lamplough. Hull.
Hallam. Wigan & Bolton
Jordan. Hackney.
Burtonwood. Wigan,Bolton
All Census Look Up Transcriptions Are Crown Copyright.

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Is that a bit of crawling there Jakky lol  ;D

We do Full English and I have hubby trained so well (24 years worth) that he cooks brekky with eldest son.

It would be great to have a Blackpool meet here wouldn't it? We'd have 3 computers to work on, as well as a big Dining area (Steak House) to compare notes and discuss problems

I'm definitely up for it if anyone is

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Carol, count me in - the family history would be a bonus but if I'm honest I would just come for the full English brekie :P

Do we have to talk in soft whispers at breakfast?  Why do people do that at B&Bs - everyone whispers and all you can hear is the chink chink of people stirring their tea.  I'm a rebel and like to enter with a big loud "Good Morning" - just to throw people off balance ;D
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline jakky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 16:55 GMT (UK) »
What a stunning idea ;D

moreso because I was born in Fleetwood. Just a hop. skip and jump away,

Fish & Chips, Big Dipper,Tower, Freezing Sea, Rock,

Mushy Peas, Proper Meat Pies, Pilling Potatoes,

Thousands of Hen and Stag Nighters, Tram Rides, Northern Humour,

Sand in your butties, and on your botties, Gale Force Wind, Rain. Fortune Telling Gypsys, Oysters.

Spectacular Sunsets

best of all a real life Blackpool Landlady who loves Genealogy,

What could be better? ;D

Jakky
Thomas.  Wigan Bolton & Fleetwood
Wilcox. Liverpool & Fleetwood.
Lamplough. Hull.
Hallam. Wigan & Bolton
Jordan. Hackney.
Burtonwood. Wigan,Bolton
All Census Look Up Transcriptions Are Crown Copyright.

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 22:18 GMT (UK) »
It would be great jus t to be able to talk family history to someone who understands exactly what I am talking about lol   ;D

As for quiet whispers ----  I don't think so !!!

Hubby and son will have you telling them your life story before you've even got your brekky - they are both worse than women when it comes to gossip & talking lol

Karaoke as well for those brave enough to get up - though not first thing

Carol

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Maybe even arrange a visit to somewhere in area

Don't forget many children and families were evacuated here during the war

Carol