Author Topic: SA Help needed  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Marsden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
SA Help needed
« on: Saturday 25 February 06 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have "acquired" a Brooch and with it is the following Note:-

This brooch belonged to Maria Midgley (Ardee) who had it made and the locks of her dear husband put inside.   Thomas Midgley died after being thrown from his Horse in East London Sth Africa.   He was the first Chief Waterworks Inspector there.   He left four daughters and a Son.  Died March 1888.

The Brooch was made in Dublin at McDowell Bros and it is still in the original box - looking a bit worse for wear.  If you look at it - it is three flowers and some leaves - remember the flowers you used to draw as a kid - a round bit for the middle and then put the petals around - but look closer and it is made of hair - pretty freaky - well I think so.

So how can I find out just how true the info I have is - I've googled him but not really got anything concrete.

Marsden
Starkey (Yeadon, Shipley) Dolan (Bradford) Marsden (Leeds, Bradford) Mitchell (Bradford) Murgatroyd (Yeadon)  Chippendale (Yeadon)  Easy (Bradford)  Rawnsley (Yeadon)  Cowgill (Yeadon)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SA Help needed
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 06 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marsden

You are lucky enough to have a memento mori - a remembrance of a dead person. Very common in the Victorian period. Often made from the dear departed's hair. Gruesome to today's sensibilities. And even more lucky to have some details of the deceased's details - very unusual.

Unlikely to be faked.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marsden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 06 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Meles,

I just wish it was something to do with my Family - that would be good but sadly I know nothing of these people - which is why I am trying to find some info on them.  It seems so sad that it is not still with the family - I would be hanging on to it if it was my Family as items like this are a one off and not replaceable.

Marsden
Starkey (Yeadon, Shipley) Dolan (Bradford) Marsden (Leeds, Bradford) Mitchell (Bradford) Murgatroyd (Yeadon)  Chippendale (Yeadon)  Easy (Bradford)  Rawnsley (Yeadon)  Cowgill (Yeadon)

Offline Shannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 March 06 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I live in Cape Town in South Africa, and believe me when I say S.A. research is quite difficult as we are still rather backward here and very little info is available to the public.  May I suggest going to www.familytree.co.za and getting a researcher to help you.  They are fantastic and with the info you have they could probably help you aquire more information.
Good Luck,
Shannon
Filling in the family tree gaps:
Paternal Grandfather - Stewart, John, Mann, Stringer
Paternal Grandmother - Shepperson, Chubb, Bate, John
Maternal Grandfather - Wynne

Offline EmPea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Marsden

This post intrigued me so much that I kept it aside until I had time to investigate and look up the file at our Archives.  Finally, I did it today!

I think I have the right person although the date of death does not match.

The details in the Estate File I looked up are as follows:

Thomas Midgley born 6 May 1840 in Bradford, Yorkshire.
Father's name John and mothers, Ann

He was a plumber and died at home aged 47 on 8 November 1887.  Unfortunately, although the street is mentioned, I cannot make out what it says and looks like Lessulnus Street, East London.

He married Maria Woods in the St Catherine's Church in Dublin, Ireland.

Their children were:

Eva   born 23 June 1876
Evelyn   born 6 December 1878
Mere (?)  born 5 May 1883
Bertha Beatrice  born 1 March 1885

No mention is made of a son.

On the bottom of the Death Notice, is the following:

"The deceased left no property he having on the 5th of November 1887 by Deed of Donation n??is causa (?) given all his estate and property to me Maria Midgley his wife subject to the payment of his ?? debts funeral and ?? expenses as my sole and exclusive property."

The Death Notice is signed by Maria Midgley.

I have taken a photo of the Death Notice if you are interested but it is not very clear.

It looks like he must have been injured and died at home a few days/weeks after the accident.  There is no mention of what he died from or how long he had been ill.

Please, please let me know if you find out anything more about the brooch.

Regards
Moira
South Africa - Wessels/Vorster
South Africa - Behr/Toerien
South Africa - Pnematicatos/Chimato
Cornwall, England & South Africa - Hicks/Breach
Yorkshire & Durham, England & South Africa - Kenney/Hucks

Offline Marsden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi EmPea,

What a welcome back to my Computer :D  I've been offline for a while now and had almost forgotten about the Brooch and my message.

Well,  I wonder what happened to the Son.  I suppose it is possible that the note I have was written by an elderly relative which would explain the slight differences.

I would love a copy of the Death Notice if thats possible and then I will have to make a start and see if I can find any living rellies still out there - I love a good challenge.

Many thanks for the info Moira

Kind regards,

Julie

Offline jpatti

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 July 09 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Shannon

I received your post and am delighted to hear from you again.  I too have been trying to trace the Wynne history, fortunately my father is able to fill in a few gaps.

I remember your mother well, we used to visit the farm in Wellington and later in Ceres when we were children, and we are of course first cousins.

I was not able to reply to your latest post but hope this will reach you.

For easier communication in future my email address is (*)

Janet

(*) Moderator Comment: Personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page: http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Kubu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 July 09 09:14 BST (UK) »
Thomas Midgley died 8 November 1887 aged 47 year. He was born in Bradford, Yorkshire. 4 other Midgleys in same cemetery (East Bank, East London) are Louis, Margaret, Stafford and William.
The description of the "hair booch" fits the style made with hair and is no doubt authentic

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 July 09 19:22 BST (UK) »

:)

Hello Marsden

The memento mori you describe is so typical of ones I saw as a child, in South Africa, usually worn by British very much older friends of my parents.

One in particular was described to me by the elderly lady wearer, and it might be of interest to you, as from your description, it sounds very similar to the one you now have.

In her case, the centre of the flower held hair of her late, dearly departed husband, while the petals of the flower,................well, each petal was of another relative, in one case, even of a child she had 'lost'.

Would love to know if your brooch might appear to have a different person's hair in the petals?

Cheers

Danchaslyn

:)
MOE,   Norway, Swaziland, and Zululand, South Africa
JORGENSON, Hole, Ringerike, Buskurud, Norway
AITKEN,  Scotland, England, India, Island of St Helena, South Africa
LOBB,  India and London
WALSH,  India and England
SHORT,  Yorkshire, England, Island of St Helena
BATEMAN,  Island of St Helena, U.S.A.
YUILL,  U.S.A.
FIRTH,  Yorkshire, Engand