Author Topic: Pocketbook makers/jewelcase makers  (Read 3964 times)

Offline paulalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Pocketbook makers/jewelcase makers
« on: Thursday 30 September 04 11:10 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for a relative who was a pocketbook maker/leathercase maker/jewelcase maker. I know that he didn't own his own business as i can't find him in any directories. What i'd like to know is does anyone know if there was a guild for these professions and/or a list of apprentices. I'm assuming he would have had to be trained to work in this trade but then wasn't a journeyman and hence worked for someone else.

His name was William Smith and lived in Islington in the 1890's - as you can probably tell not a nice rare name in a small village!! A search for him is proving elusive, i have him in the 1891 census. I don't think he married his partner by whom he had 4 children, (all of which were put into a workhouse by the late 1890's with a note 'deserted by parents'), obviously a marriage certficate would help to trace the family back further but doesn't exist. I'm hoping that apprentice records may have some snippet of information that could provide the next clue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paula 

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wolverhampton, Islington: Billingsley
Hammersmith, Manchester, Kent, Islington: Smith
Yorkshire: Hauxwell, Woodward, Butterfield
Darlington: Theakston
Essex: Harvey, Stock, Mead
Kent: Strong
Wokingham, Hammersmith: Thorpe
Oxfordshire: Rawlin(g)s, Johnson, Humphries, Curtis, Pope, Bossom, Simpson

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pocketbook makers/jewelcase makers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 October 04 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula,
must be going senile in my old age, but thought I answered this yesterday - never mind - it will float in cyberspace for a while.
Try this
[PDF] Leather Museum BilbliographyFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
... Includes short histories of the Leathersellers, Tanners, Curriers and Skinners Guilds of London. ... Proctor, HR The Making of Leather, Cambridge University ...
www.walsall.gov.uk/LeatherMuseum/fhr/biblio.pdf
otherwise see a well known antique dealer- he should be able to help
Cougar in Oz
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)
This information is Crown Copywrite. from the www.national archives.go.v.uk.