Author Topic: Lookup Offer from The Encyclopedia of Ireland  (Read 4955 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Offer from The Encyclopedia of Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 February 06 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher

An offer to good to miss, like Karen I can't resist any of my surnames in a book.are there any McCarthy or Fitzgerald,  Nash/Naish  or Morrissey. Thanks

Jericho,

This is a bit of a lucky dip. You might strike lucky or you might get a piece of usless information. There is B.G. McCarthy born in 1904 in Co. Cork. Next come five MacCarthys. They are followed by Mick (Michael) McCarthy born in Yorkshire - he's the well known soccer player who captained the Irish team in the World Cup finals in 1990. The last McCarthy is Thomas, born in 1954 at Cappoquin, Co. Waterford http://www.laoisedcentre.ie/LENGLISH/engrwww/tom.html  

Which Fitzgerald would you like ??? There are 14 of them. I could be here all night telling you about them. Forget about Barry, the actor and film star, who appeared in "The Quiet Man" as Fitzgerald was his stage name. However you have a mixture of the following from which to choose an artist, a couple of belted Earls, a physicist, a couple of politicians, and a rugby player.  

There is no one by the name of Morrissey shown but someone might like a Morris or a Morrison. No luck either with Nash/Naish.

I do the same thing as Karen and yourself Jericho. Whenever I am in a library and I pick up an interesting looking book I turn straight to the index to have a look for familiar surnames. When, on a rare occasion, I find one a little bit of excitement feels as though I have found buried treasure.

All the Best, Christopher

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 February 06 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Christopher are there any Fitzgerald from Waterford at all
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 February 06 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Wow, she is beautiful isn't she, we are lookers us Heffernan's related or not  ;)

Apparently they were at least 5 brothers, one came to Canada, one to Australia and no one knows of the others.  They were good Irish catholics, so there are many around.  The one brother that came here, my gr-gr-gr grandfather John Heffernan, married to Mary Griffin somewhere in Ireland had 13 children in Ontario.  My mum said she was always told there was a whole village of Heffernan's in Ireland, but I have yet to find it.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 February 06 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christopher,

Are there any EDMONDS from Wexford?

Possibly they were Apothecaries.

Thanks for that

EDO

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 February 06 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Christopher I confused you, the Parles were from Glynn/Barntown in Wexford County, just outside Wexford Town.  Also rumoured to be connected with the Parles of the Saltee Islands.

But thank you for trying for me, I appreciate it.

Best wishes
Mary

Hei Mary,

You wont believe this. I had another look at the book, this time for the Saltee Islands. No mention of them. I was surprised as they deserve a mention. However there is a little bit about the Parles in a really beautiful book that I found in a local charity shop. "Ireland's Islands" Landscape, Life and Legends by Peter Somerville-Large with photographs by David Lyons. It was published by Gill and Macmillan in 2000.

There is not a lot about the Parle family although their old homestead on the north end of the island is mentioned as well as the ruins of other buildings including one known as the School House. The last Parle left the island in 1905.

I phoned a friend who knows the area and she told me if you visit the island and are stranded overnight there is a place where you can shelter. There are matches and tinned food so that you have no need to starve. There is a condition for those using this facility - you must return the next day to replace those those items that were used.

Best Wishes,

Chris

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 February 06 20:47 GMT (UK) »

I phoned a friend who knows the area and she told me if you visit the island and are stranded overnight there is a place where you can shelter. There are matches and tinned food so that you have no need to starve. There is a condition for those using this facility - you must return the next day to replace those those items that were used.

Thanks for that Christopher  I'll be sure to remember that when next I go to Ireland :P Yes I tried to get to the Saltees last August but there were only fishing trips, none to the islands.  It's good to know that maybe my ancestors passed down some survival skills  ;D ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 February 06 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Christopher are there any Fitzgerald from Waterford at all

Sorry Jericho,

Most of the Fitzgeralds mentioned are from Co. Kildare.

Best Wishes,

Chris

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 February 06 21:02 GMT (UK) »
 Christopher

Thanks for your help, I have read Thomas's story before, and each time I've read it, I can almost put myself in that room, as he bring the story to life, would like to think that perhaps he is one of mine, oh well one can live in hope.

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 February 06 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christopher,

Are there any EDMONDS from Wexford?

Possibly they were Apothecaries.

Thanks for that

EDO

Sorry I am unable to assist EDO.
There is Edgeworth, Richard Lovell then Education Together.
No mention of Apothecaries under "A"

Best Wishes, Christopher