Author Topic: Mary Ann Dickinson -- Marriage  (Read 4149 times)

Offline lesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Dickinson -- Marriage
« on: Sunday 26 February 06 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all,

I have a Mary Ann Dickinson christened 03 Oct 1858 St Barnabas Douglas and I believe she married in 1874, I am looking for information on whom she married, appreciate any assistance,

Regards,

LesD
Research Names -- Smithson, Dickinson, Craven, Christian, Perry, Hayes, Law, Shaw

Offline rcorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Dickinson -- Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 06:13 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for a Mary Gell Dickinson to Thomas Stowell on 18 NOV 1875 Saint Barnabas, Douglas, Isle Of Man but this is more likely to be MARY ANNE DICKENSON d/o Anthony Dickenson and Margaret Gill, Christened 30 SEP 1846 Saint George, Douglas, Isle Of Man.

No other marriage for Mary Ann Dickinson on the IGI.  I can't see the family on the island in the 1851/1861/1871 censuses.

Why do you think she married in 1874?  And do you have reason to think she married on the Island?
Bouncing emails

England: Green, Povey, Bedford, Bridgland, Catlin, Patton
Scotland: Fraser, Kennedy, Kelly, Hean, Higgins
Isle of Man: Corris, Faragher, Corkill, Shimmin

Offline lesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am not sure where the marriage date came from it is in my note book from my visit to IOM a couple of years ago. The birth and family are in the Family Search data base and John was my GG Grandfather and I have finalised all of the main family this one is still outstanding. I have searched the 1861 census and find no sign of a Mary Ann Dickinson (Dickenson) with a mother Jane or being born on IOM.  I am not sure of the next action ?? She shoiuld be somewhere at age of 2 to 3 (dependant on census date). I am not sure if John actually married Jane or the child was illegitimate and if so maybe took mothers name. But does not seem possible seeing info in Family Search, so I guess they married but what happened ?? John married Alice Christian in 1863

Regards,

LesD
Research Names -- Smithson, Dickinson, Craven, Christian, Perry, Hayes, Law, Shaw

Offline rcorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Where is John in the 1861 census?
Bouncing emails

Offline lesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
1861 census he was at 12 King Street Douglas with Mother and 3 brothers and a sister, one boarder (Emma Tobin) and no other individuals.

Rgds,

LesD

Offline rcorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Since the 1861 census does not indicate that John is married or widowed then I think you will have to assume he never married a Jane.  It then seems strange that if she was illegitimate her mother's surname was not recorded.

Do you have anything other than the christening entry in the IGI to link Mary Anne with your John?  I think you may have to consider that Mary Anne is not connected to your line (perhaps John and Jane only lived on the island a short time and otherwise lived and produced children in England).

Have you looked at the actual bapstismal record on the LDS films (1911 transcriptions)or at the Manx National Heritage library (original parish registers)?  I don't know that there will be any additional information therein but if you are going to persue it then looking at the source document for the one event you know of is probably a good place to start.  It should at least tell you if the child was illegitimate or not.
Bouncing emails

Offline lesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You are most likely correct and will have to plan when next I visit over there, strange though there is a Mary Ann Dickinson with John's cousins family and the same age, I wonder if they adopted her or ??

Rgds,

LesD