Author Topic: Rock Villa, Wellington Road, New Brighton  (Read 12124 times)

Offline Skipworth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Rock Villa, Wellington Road, New Brighton
« on: Sunday 26 February 06 07:41 GMT (UK) »
At least that was the address in the 1871 Census.  I can only find an image on a postcard on the web and would like some info on the building.

Thank you.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Villa, Wellington Road, New Brighton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 06 08:19 GMT (UK) »
You will be able to see where it is on  a map at www.streetmap.co.uk put in Wellington Road and choose the one for Wallasey.  I think if you use Wallasey as part of the address for googling you might have more luck.  At least I suspect the house is still there,

"Cubbin Recently, James Cubbin, MRPharmS, of "Rock Villa", 56 Wellington Road, Wallasey, Merseyside CH45 2NF. Mr Cubbin registered in 1952. " from the Obituaries in the Pharmaceutical Journal in 2002.

There is a nice site being set up about New Brighton http://emit.demon.co.uk/walrus/magsprop.html#intoduction with an aerial shot of the area, difficult to pick out Wellington Road but maybe possible.

I wonder if you might find something if you approached the Chester Archives, they may have old Planning documents etc. http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recoff/home.htm

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Skipworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 06 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mary for all your info and links.  I had found an old ordinance map with a link to a modern aerial view and there seem to be a lot of trees at the site but couldn't see any buildings.  I will follow up your advice.

Thank you.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 06 19:20 GMT (UK) »
I had fun looking for maps for you.

Try www.old-maps.co.uk and put in Wellington Road, choose the Wallasey, Merseyside one and when it comes to the individual names just choose any of them until you get the map, then click on "Enlarged View" and it opens up larger in a new window.  Look at the coastline to the north until you see Red Noses and Yellow Noses (must find out what these are named for - unless just the shapes of  the line of the coast) and in between these just on the land you will see Rock Villa named.

Now go to http://maps.google.co.uk/ and put in Wallasey, Click on "Hybrid" and it will give you the names of the roads, Wellington Road is a touch further inland that I thought it would be so maybe some of the river has been reclaimed, and I imagine that Rock Villa must have been near the west end of it, which looks a little bare on that satellite picture, although there are some buildings just before the end of the road.  If you have GoogleWorld I would imagine you might get an even better look.

Do you know New Brighton at all yourself?  Back in 1871 it would have been quite the "Brighton" of the north west with many attractions, the tower, said to be patterned on the Eiffel Tower, France, and it's ballroom, wasn't built until 1896 though. 

It has always been a favourite day trip from Liverpool with the trip on the "Ferry Cross the Mersey" with the Fort and Lighthouse to see, the open air swimming pool would have been later but a major attraction from about the 1930's onwards until 1990 when it was forced to close due to damage caused by bad storms.  It also has a history of smuggling, google for Old Mother Redcaps, I should think you would turn up something interesting.

This is another site which will have some good details for you to get an idea of how the place was, not just the house itself. http://www.merseyside.net/newbrighton/

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Skipworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 06 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Gosh you have been busy Mary.  Thank you so much.  I really love this aspect of researching my family tree.  I have used the old-maps uk site and agree that originally the homes were closer to the water.

Skipworth

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Todays Street Map
Deleted map,no longer needed
Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skipworth
Sorry its so big but you would not see wellington road if smaller.Its a long road, and it will give you some idia of how the land lies today.Have put a bracket top left. Hope this might be of use to you. As the map is large and only of interest to you. If you print it out, i can then delete it,so the page will load quicker. So let me know on here when you have done so. ;)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Celia, Hi!  you might know the area better than I do, but have looked on www.old-maps.co.uk and saw Rock Villa at the end of Wellington Road.  Are you able to compare from your knowledge whether it would have been on that part printed on your map or would there have been a further bit of road going to the west?

Mary

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 22:44 GMT (UK) »
What knowledge
the only thing i know about these villa's is that they have been there forever.According to snippits i heard when younger . They were called Rock villas because they are built on rock bed ,or is that bed rock?. They were built high on a rock the back facing the sea.Which came up to  the rock.because they hadn't built the prom then. That information came from the library ( read a lot). As a Matter of fact i have just remembered,i have a small copy of a painting done in the middle 1800.It shows the villas on the rock with the sea below. The fort in the distance and the light house nearby.children playing on the beach in the forground.Where maybe the place they call the red noses is now.  I have to tell you i am  now in contact with skipworth. I got interested in the houses and want to research them myself.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials