Author Topic: Rock Villa, Wellington Road, New Brighton  (Read 12117 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Villa, Wellington Road, New Brighton
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 March 06 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Skipworth
Front page news
I now found i did find the right house but forgot it was on a hill.Thats why i thought it was wrong as it was to small.
The news is i have found the information/History on all the Villa's.Including Rock. The information mentions you Family. Have also found loads of interesting movement in the directories.

Gotta go Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 March 06 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Skipworth  (Mary)
Changed my mind about rushing of again in search of more info.To tired and to late anyway I got a bit exited,on your behalf and went a bit mad ;D. Have decided apart from very private  and off topic stuff (photo's and that) i will put the information i find on here.To keep Mary in the picture,more or less ;D.  so she knows whats going on.Also as i now know where to obtain the History of all the Villa's.Someone else might be interested.I spent a couple of hours going through the directories, from 1862-1886. Do you know of anyone else that might be interested in your family? Can't remember which year it was now,but in one of them some very naughty person has marked one of the reference to one of your Peers. With red Biro marks, 4 times.I was annoyed with that :(  Thats not the done thing with genealogists is it. When the weather clears up i will take trip down and take a proper photo of the front and back of the villa and some surrounding area's. Must now go and get my finding typed up. So will leave you with some reading material in the meantime. (will scan it now)The picture is what looks like a copy of an old Black and white one,because it doesn't look like that now.Back later
Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 March 06 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Not allowed to leave this empty ;D

Photo removed
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 March 06 16:46 GMT (UK) »
                          ROCK VILLA WELLINGTON ROAD

In 1837 William Rowson sold off one of his portions of land, amounting to 2,120 Square yards and ejected to the Cliff estate, to Peter Greenall, Brewer of St Helens. It is not clear whether Rowson or Greenall built this house on the land, but right from the start it was known as Rock Villa, and it is of course still standing today and still possessing the same name. Peter Greenall,
Who used the house as a summer residence, was a man of considerable importance. In his own area. He was the grandson of Thomas Greenall, who founded Greenall Whitley’s St Helens brewery in 1762

It goes on to say quiet a lot about The brewery and Peter Greenall  so will skip that those bits

Following Peter Greenalls death (18th September, 1845) “Rock Villa was occupied by a variety of tenants, during the next thirty years, including a cotton broker, a cotton spinner a merchant and Ship owner, and even a clerk to the borough magistraits,, but 1875 marked the arrival of the Peers Family in the person of James Peers, also a cotton broker, who was the forunner of what was to turn out to be a forty year connection with the house. He was the father of George Hunter Peers.The founder in 1878; of what is now  the Peers club in St Georges Road, a justice of the peace, and a man who persuaded the Wallasey Local Board to purchase Cental Park after Harold littledales death in 1889. He also went down in history as the man who demolished the mill on the breck, replacing it with a residence; well know for nearly eighty years as “Millthwait”
And as the father of Hugh Peers, Local historian of note. The reign of the Peers family at Rock Villa came to  an end shortly after the finish of World war 1 .The next occupant being Mr. C.R. Marples  a well known Liverpool cotton broker,who spent some years there,to be followed by Pat athern,a well known Wallasey commission – agent and the wallasey sea cadets, who used the house as their headquarters for a while.In 1959 “Rock Villa was purchased by Mr. Norman Kingham, the Architect, including the caves under the dwelling formed out of soft stone of the red and yellow noses., Access to these cave which still exist, at one time was from the shore, before the promenade was built but today is by way of steps inside a manhole within the garden of “Rock Villa” The house itself originally  had Gothic features but owing to past neglect and was damage.All of these have been lost  and replaced with more modern styles which has altered its character.

Note the book this came from was printed I think in the 60’

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 March 06 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm enjoying what you've found out Celia, I too was in touch with Skipworth but more about sites where she can read up local information, you seem to have a lot more about the house itself which is great.  I found it was actually mentioned on old-maps.co.uk, but that was all.

VERY naughty of somebody writing in ink, pencils only allowed!

I look forward to hearing more of this story you two  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lots of luck with it
Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 March 06 22:20 GMT (UK) »
At last i have got the info up have spent al evening and more trying,if all else fails ,Re-print ,copy and paste. will have to but the old photo upstair now.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Skipworth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 March 06 22:44 GMT (UK) »
What a lovely surprise at all the info - Thank you so much Celia for the grand effort :)

Don't like the red biro - how naughty.

My family will be delighted with the history.

Thanks again.

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 March 06 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Some More

Cheshire Directories
Peers George H.  Cotton broker (J.P.& son’s)” Rock Villa” 1 Wellington Road
          James                “                                             “                       “
Peers  George H.         “                        “                     “                        “
1884/82/81
Peers   James W           “                               Wellington Road (Portland Street)
`1871
Peers   James  Cotton broker    Wellington Road   (Constitution Hill)
Peers    Jas. Cotton Broker  “Rock Villa” Wellington Road
             Office. 17 Mellor’s Building, 30 Exchange St. E.W
1868              As Above
Peers    James.  Cotton Broker Liscard Road Egremont
                          Office.  Britania Building 12, Hackins Hay.
1864  No Wellington Road in this one, might be under different name but
Peers. James       Cotton Broker  liscard Road Egremont of 7,Tithbarn St
1862                                      As Above
There is also a William peers Cotton Broker, 15 Esplanade Waterloo and son cotton broker Old Hill.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Skipworth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 March 06 04:35 GMT (UK) »