Author Topic: Lancelot Gales b1882  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Windy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lancelot Gales b1882
« on: Sunday 26 February 06 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Searching for evidence of Lancelot Gales, B c1882 in Llanifhangel? Brecon.

On the English 1901C he is 19 and living in Doncaster, Yorkshire, Father Alfred Mother Fanny.  His occupation is given as Telegraphist. He married Betty Bunker, don't know when, or when they emigrated.

Any information would be excellent.

Windy
Durcan/Durkin - Sligo to York, Sweeney (nee)Langhan Mayo to York. Mulhearn (spelling?)(nee Brogan) ?Ireland to York.
Bardy - weavers, North Yorkshire to York.
+ Ingleson, Carvel/Carvil

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Lancelot Gales b1882
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 06 17:41 GMT (UK) »
There's a Lancelot Gales living in Winnipeg Manitoba in 1911 who was born in 1882 in England.  Immigrated to Canada in 1908, has a daughter Olga and wife Ben, but could read Betty and Eliza, his occupation is a traveler.

The Manitoba expert will see this thread and be more helpful  :)

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 06 19:47 GMT (UK) »
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1911a/e079/e001956499.pdf

Yes, this is your bunch, as Wife is  "Bess" b. feb. 1881 and the child is I am 99% sure- Olga born 1908 in England also...and Baptist....which might help for cemetery information although resources are limited....

Actually Lancelot is down as TRAVLER... I love the creative spelling census takers used....

Anyway, just in case this was a relative who prompted them to come here, there was a Joseph Gales on the 1901...born 1850 who came over around 1871...but rel. Presb.

No sign of your Lancelot  Alfred Gales or family on any available resources so far....Llanfihangel Brecon is the proper spelling I found..Now try and say it... have to run off but will get back to this....
Cathedral not far from where I live in Winnipeg ;)
J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 06 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello

there is an Lancelot Alfred Gales who homesteaded the SE part of Section 20 Township 25 Range 7 Meridan W1 (this is near the communities of Faulkner, Grahamdale, Spearhill in Manitoba, if I have read my map correctly.) This homestead was granted between Sept. 27, 1920 and  Oct. 08, 1920 so he likely filed on it around 1914 or so.

You can look here to view the above information
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020111_e.html

Hope this helps

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 06 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Good one Thelma...hadn't gone into the land grants yet... Trouble is, I don't have the interlake region in my phone book( this is the RM of Grahamdale)..but we have about 20 Gales in Winnipeg...
I used to make phone calls but have stopped, as haven't been successful...and some people think I am just plain crazy and tell me off!

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 March 06 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Have found out from Windy's sister that the actual name for the wife of
Lancelot Alfred Gales is Bertha Gales (Bunker) and the daughter is Olive Bertha Gales, should anyone have information on the family.