Author Topic: COUSINS of Freystrop, Wales  (Read 8150 times)

Online K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: COUSINS of Freystrop, Wales
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Also, a quick reply as my Rees family were also centred around Freystrop and there were a few intermarriages between a number of the families.

I do have a few records on the computer of a David Venables m. Elizabeth Bevan 16 Mar 1862 Rosemarket and his sister Eliza Venables m. Joseph Cousins 23 Jun 1877 Rosemarket.

John Barrah m1. Rachel Couzins 3 Sep 1814 Freystrop, then m2. 21 Oct 1826 Freystrop Sarah Rees. They lived east of Turnpike Road from Troopers Inn to Haroldstone Bridge in 1841.

I may or may not have some information relevant to Mrsb06
Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Online K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Also, to Janed
Have I contacted you in reply to your gggrandmother being Alice Barrah?
I would have a far bit on the descendants of Alice Barrah and her marriage to Richard Matthias.
As her mother Sarah Rees had a relationship before her marriage to John Barrah, I would also have a little on her chn and a connection to Rosemarket.
Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Online K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Janed (if still receiving messages of recent posts)

I just checked my write-ups and I do have a little story on
Sarah Rees of Freystrop - workawoman to farmer

I have not proved her connection to my Rees family in Freystrop, other than my ancestor did have a daughter Sarah Rees and there seemed to only be two Rees families in the area.

Sarah Rees was born c1788 Freystop. The Parish Register recorded the baptisms of three base children to Sarah Rees: John Rees 29 Nov 1807; James Rees 24 Jul 1812; and Hesther Rees 1 Jul 1822 and dare I say that Hesther was born at Freystrop Cross, where Sarah was a "workawoman".

Of possible interest to others, Mark and Martha Cuzzins of Freystrop baptised their daughter on the same day.

Mrs. Rachel Barrah died at Freystrop Cross on 7 Apr 1825 and John Barrah married Sarah Rees 18 months later. Twins were born before Alice Barrah, Janed's gggm.

Sarah Barrah, nee Rees, continued John Barrah's leases of 45 acres and I have identified those fields.
The 1851 Census at Freystrop recorded three households at Freystrop Cross and one cottage was occupied by an unmarried Elizabeth Couzins and her 9 year old daughter Martha Cousins.

Sarah was recorded as Sarah Barrow, instead of Barrah, of High Cross when buried 26 Mar 1852.
Keith

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Rees, I have just read your this evening's replies and thank you
As I said earlier I need to shuffle a lot of past papers to get up to speed again.
What I do remember is that my great grand parents were Nicholas and Elinor GRUNNAH of Freystrop and that their eldest daughter married a COUSINS.
VDP
Barnett, Cousins, Flett, Foot, Foote, Fox, Graves, Grunnah, Rackstraw, Shipley, Vinter, Wasko, Wilson