Author Topic: Rush Family from Mayo  (Read 17030 times)

Offline paddyjoe68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rush Family from Mayo
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 August 05 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking into the Rush family history is there anyone else from mayo or roscommon with the same family name
kevin
HiKevin,
there is a family by the name of rush in the village of The Quay, Ballina, Co. Mayo.  Annie Rush was born in about 1878/79 her son Jonny still lives in the village, you can contact him at this address.

Offline oisin7571

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 August 05 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
    I am trying to find where Patrick Rush was born. He was born about 1838.In  the 1881 British census says he was born Mayo county. His wifes name was Bridget Meeghan. I think they were married about 1860ish. All a bit vague but it's all I have.
Thanks
Phil.

I have checked listings for kilmovee parish records and found the following:

17 January
Martin Rush married a Bridget Meeghan
Witnesses:  William Meeghan/ ? Hopkins
No townlands listed in the above record.

May be of some use to you. But as I have found  - that sometimes you can be lead up the wrong path with records!!
Best of luck

Hi there.   
              Thanks for the above information although the name of Martin and not Patrick has stumped me for now. Will have to look into it.
Many thank's
Phil.

Phil
More listings of children for Martin Rush/Bridget Meeghan - marriage info as above:
1.  Domnick, born 4 Aug 1861 (sps Thomas Tully, Catherine Meeghan - Magheraboy)
2.  Maria - born 5 Dec 1863 (sps Martin Meeghan, Bridget Meeghan - Magheraboy)
3.  William - born 7 July 1866 (sps Margaret Meeghan, Thady Coffey - Magheraboy)
4.  Catherine - born 26 Sept 1869 (sps Domnick Rush, Bridget Molloy - Magheraboy)
5.  Bridget - born 14 July 1871 (sps William Meeghan, Bridget Meeghan - Magheraboy)
6.  Martin - born 25 Nov 1876 (sps William Rush, Mary McCann - Magheraboy)
7.  Thomas - born 6 Oct 1878 (sps not listed)

The Rush name was very prominent in Magheraboy 100-150 years ago, so most likely all households were related way back. Maybe some of the names might ring a bell with you? Also, family could have emigrated and further children born in the UK? I have been caught out with census' before as I have found that some of my ancestors told little white lies regarding their age etc., (think they were playing things close to their chest). My g grandfather knocked 15 years off his real age during the 1901 census in Ireland!!
Regards
Regards
Boylan - Co Cavan, Ireland
Breen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Duffy - Co Mayo, Ireland
Kearns - Co Mayo, Ireland

Offline oisin7571

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 August 05 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil
have you anything else to go on ?
do you have a Rush family connection in england?
My grandfather was born in mayo circa 1873 upto now we have his mother's surname as meeghan!!!!!
regards Kevin Rush.

Kevin
Posted a message to Phil regarding Rushes - think I could have found some of your gang. See if any of the names sound familiar.
regards
Sarah
Boylan - Co Cavan, Ireland
Breen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Duffy - Co Mayo, Ireland
Kearns - Co Mayo, Ireland

Offline ickabod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 October 08 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,sorry to buttin, there is a rush family in lincolnshire (normanby.owmby by spital), they have been there many years.
Has anybody any info on them???/

kind regards,  ste
RUSH

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 October 08 12:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat ickabod but you'd probably get more help by posting your query under Lincolnshire (did they have any connection to Co. Mayo?).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ickabod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 October 08 12:37 BST (UK) »
I have been told that mabey they did have connections to co mayo and other parts of ireland.
at the mo i am looking into any info i can find.
thank you for your reply.

kind regards ste rush
RUSH

Offline SusanR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 March 09 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin,
               Thanks for your reply. Patrick and Bridgett moved to Liverpool about 1865. They had 2 sons before they emigrated. They were Thomas born 1860 and Charles born 1861. Patrick was a Tailor. There were 5 daughters all born in Liverpool. Does this help to identify the family or perhaps link with your research.
Regards
Phil.

Hi Phil
The Patrick you mention here is my Gr Gr Grandather and son Charles is my Gr Grandfather.  I've only just discovered this so any more information you have about them would be appreciated.  I have 1871 & 1881 census records for Patrick and 1891 & 1911 for Charles

Thanks

Susan

Offline dunbill_63

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 July 09 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin

Your message is rather old, so I don't know if this will get to you.  My grandmother was Mary (Rush) Egan, born in Kilbeagh Parish, near Swinford in 1900.  There was a total of 10 children in my grandmother's generation, most born after her, and most emigrated (to the NYC area in the US).  Her youngest brother, Peter, stayed in Mayo, but I know that my great-grandmother (Ellen Rush) died near Leeds England in the 1930s or 1940s, so I suspect my Uncle Pete moved there at some point.

In the 1901 census, my grandmother Mary Rush was listed as 11 months old.  Her mother was Ellen Rush, 27 years old, and her father was Thomas Rush, 46 years old.  Other older children listed were James (4) and Katrina(2).  Seems they lived with our great grandfather's mother, a Mary Rush who was 78 at the time.  She's listed as "head of household."  In another random file for Swinford Mayo, there is a list of people born in 1866, shows a "Martin Rush" born to James Rush and Mary Higgins Rush.  That could likely the same Mary Rush in the 1901 census (and I do think I heard of the name Higgins in my family before).  My great grandfather was 46 in 1901, that means he would have been born in 1855, so this Martin could have been his baby brother, born 11 years later.  Mary Higgins Rush would have been 43 at the time, possibly still of child-bearing age.

I'm still investigating.  Incidentally, the 1901 and 1911 census data for Mayo is gradually going on line this year, so you may want to try renewing your search if you're still interested.

Bill

Offline Pat38

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 12 February 23 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am currently looking at Thomas Rush born 1878 who was the son of Martin Rush and Bridget Meehan of Magheraboy in County Mayo, Ireland. Do you know if it was this Thomas Rush who married Bridget Griffin of Ballinrumpa, Kilmovee, Mayo in 1902.
Thanks.
Higgins, Griffin, Duffy, Comer, Donnelly, Hearne, Henry, Woodside, Hague, Greaves, Davison, Mooney, Rockley, McKenna, Byrne, Berry & Barnacle.