Author Topic: McMillan 1861  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Cammy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McMillan 1861
« on: Monday 27 February 06 16:09 GMT (UK) »
On the 1851 Barrhead & Neilston census I have

MCMILLAN FINLAY MA 50 PAUPER GLENORCHY
MCMILLAN FLORA FA 40 CAMPBELTOWN
McMILLAN NEIL MA 17 BLEACHER CAMPBELTOWN
McMILLAN ANN FA 16 BLEACHER CAMPBELTOWN
McMILLAN ISABELLA FC 09 SCHOLAR NEILSTON
McMILLAN ANDREW MC 03 NEILSTON
McMILLAN FINLAY MC 004 NEILSTON

I can find Neil in the 1861 census (in Glasgow) but the rest of them are nowhere to be found. I have Isabella (& Husband & child) Flora,  Andrew and Finlay jnr in 1871 living at 5 Tay Street, West Calder.
It says Flora is a widow, however, I can't find a DC for Finlay sen. I've tried all options on SP and frankly have spent a fortune looking for them.
There is a Finlay McMillan in 1861 &1871 in St. Cuthberts Poorhouse but the place of birth is Inverness, I can't be sure if it's him. Maybe they split up and she just said she was widowed. I've also posted this on Talking Scot but no joy as yet.
Can anyone help find them in 1861?

Cammy

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McMillan 1861
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cammy,

I found another Finlay McMillan . . . . (British Vital Records)

Finlay MCMILLAN
Date of Birth: 26 Nov 1833   
Date of Christening: 3 Dec 1833
Recorded in: Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Collection: Middle or New Parish
Father:   Neil MCMILLAN
Mother:   Janet MCLEAN

He was the youngest of 4 children to this couple, the others being:

Rebecca, born 1 Aug 1822, christened 15 Aug 1822
Janet, born 12 Sep 1824, christened 26 Sep 1824
Elizabeth, born 28 Oct 1826, christened 12 Nov 1826

Anne

Offline runner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cammy

Your Inverness birth place may well be the correct one!

The administrative area which is overseen by Inverness covers a huge swath of the country. It even stretches across the water to North Uist and part of Lewis. A birth registered in Bridge of Orchy would be followed by the name Inverness.
The 1851 census should be on-line soon at scotlandspeople.gov.uk  so it might be worth waiting to see what other info turns up on it. Although its pay-to-view 30 credits for your £6.00 may not be enough once you set off down a new track.

I would go with the Barrhead & Neilston info. If he was a pauper not living in the parish of his birth the local Parish board would not look kindly on him when it came to giving hand-outs. Remember that parish relief was the only income for the poor, indigent or infirm in those days. He may have taken himself out of the house so that his wife would have a better chance of a 'good' handout.
Life was tough before the days of pensions and income support!

The 'Good Old Days' when you were free to starve, catch TB, be humiliated by the local church do-gooders. No winter fuel allowance back then!!

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Cammy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 March 06 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Anne,

Thanks for that, I don't know if there is any connection but I'll hold onto it just incase.

runner,
I doubt if the ScotlandsPeople 1851 census would give me different info from that I already have. I've spent over £30 this week alone so I'm trying to wean myself off it for a while  ;) Finlay & Flora travelled about a bit, they got married in 1829 in Glasgow and then appear to have moved back to Campeltown, had some kids and moved to Neilston. I have found a Finlay McMellan in St. Cuthberts in Edinburgh, Police Constable in 1841. I know that he was a police constable at some point although the Finlay in the 1861 census in St Cuthberts Poorhouse is a quarryman, which he is also stated as being in some certs. His daughter Isabella states in the 1871 census that she was born in St. Cuthberts so this fits but is not conclusive. (are you still with me).
Thanks for your input.
Cammy

Offline runner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 06 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Cammy

Just a suggestion. you have not put up any family names and serch areas on your profile.

Sometimes these can catch the eye and you might catch a relative you didn't know you had.

Good luck with what appears to be one of those unclimbable mountains we all come across. I had two which were resolved on the same death record. Pure luck!!

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.