Author Topic: parish register entries  (Read 7375 times)

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
parish register entries
« on: Monday 27 February 06 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, :)

Just playing about here and came across this,

20 Aug 1750  The Honble. Madm. Anna Maria, w. of the Worshipfull Charlton Laighton, Esqr., a Lady of the Greatest Perfections, both of Body & Mind bur.

Blooming Youth must fade, Honour cannot awe Nor Riches tempt Death to withdraw his fatal Arm Eheu! The most exquisite Charms of Beauty both of Body & Mind were but ineffectually display'd to sooth the grim Tyrant.

hope I get a write off like that, ???  (EHEU ? )
Pete. :)
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: parish register entries
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 11:16 GMT (UK) »
It's a beauty, Pete!!!  :)

Must say I've never struck "Eheu" before!!!  ???

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Almost as good as these, :)

05 Jun 1617 Sr. Roger Owen, Knight, Lord of the Mannor of Condover, haveing ben twise Knight of the Parliam' house for the county of Salop, one of the worthiest subjectes of his ranke in Englande for all maner of learninge, care for the good of the com'on wealth, for composinge of controversies, buyinge peace wth his owne purse, maintayninge of amity, love to his neighbours, patronizinge learninge, freely disposinge of Ch'ch livinges, &c., was buried on the north side of the chauncell at the upper ende. Pity so many graces shoulde be covered in the earth, so profitable an instrument taken away, & so many unfruitfull remayne. He finished his mortality  29 May 1617 , & ascended to Heaven early (the morninge of our Savior's. solemnized Ascension) in his soule, the better parte: the other restinge wth. us till the restoringe of all things. ???

James, the worthiest kinge that ever reigned in England,  27 Mar 1624 , having reigned full 22 yeeres & 2 daies, sir-named (& that verie rightly) Pacificus, verie learned, very Religious, having reigned king of Scots 38 yeeres & almost 8 moneths, finished this mortality.

( whats he doing an the shrop par disc ) ?

Pete, :)
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Where are you GETTING these things, Pete?  ???  ::)

A confused Aussie

MarieC
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi MarieC,  :)

Youve got to hand it to us poms over here, we do have sense of drama about things, ( especially when it comes to the death of our lords and masters, ??? ???) .  I live in Shropshire, which is just about in the centre of England, Im searching my ancestors approx 6 miles away so I bought the Shrop registers disc,  they go back to ab1530, as they have been transcribed litteraly, what I see is what is in the register, they make for a fasinating read about our ancestors lived ( an died ), here a few random entries,

28 Jan 1627  was a myghty grate winde wich blowe downe houses, barnes and treese, with maney other grate harmes in this Countey. ( where was global warming ?)

24 Jan 1634 Sara, d. of Roger Rider, of Betton c.
This month of January & February was a marvelous grate frost & Snowe the Licke was never Seene & when it went a way it tooke downe some parte of the stonn Brige & som part of the walle gooing to Coolom & most of all the waars that was on Syvarne.
( again where is the motor car ? )
 02 May 1591 George Maning, kild with a thunderbolt. ( I think that means struck by lightining  ???)

18 Jun 1600 Davie Davies, executed and buried. ??? ( 200 hundred years later we would have proberbly sent him to your shores,)

01 Apr 1600 Mathewe Edgerley & Elizabeth Burges were marryed togeather  01 Apr 1600  (how would they do it apart ? )

15 Mar 1749 Saml. Jones, Cl., & Mary, his wife, bad ye Bodies of two sons & two daughters (wch. were buried at St. Chadds above 8 years ago) removed hither, & interred in a vault made in ye Church for ye purpose.

As I say , fasinating,

All the best,
Pete, :) :)

p.s I dont think I have ever confused an Aussie before,  :)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Great excerpts Pete

They wrote everything so dramatically didn't they?

Loved the one for James though - Can you imagine the same for the likes of our politicians? I don't think so!

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 March 06 03:57 GMT (UK) »
James seems very popular, I'm sure I found him on my film from Yorkshire - will have to go back and check my notes. The beheading of Charles I also seemed to get mentioned in a number of registers.

What a shame the state took over the records from the church - nothing at all interesting among the 1837+ registers   ;D   ;D

Many thanks for the interesting read.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 March 06 05:36 GMT (UK) »
I too was wondering about James I (and now Charles I).

Wonder why they would include them in a number of parish registers, when they obviously weren't buried there?  Does anyone know??

I agree, this is fascinating stuff - a real window on the social history of the time.  I read the other day that there was a Little Ice Age which lasted from the late middle ages till perhaps the end of the 18th century (just can't recall the exact dates) - perhaps this explains these extreme weather events!

Pete, let me tell you that it is a badge of honour in Australia to have convict ancestors!  I have a couple who were extremely enterprising people and did well for themselves.  Actually, I think you exported a lot of the enterprising ones and kept the dull and boring ones who wouldn't dream of offending even a little!!  So much the better for us!

MarieC

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 March 06 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi MarieC

Many of the Reverends used to keep notes of the happenings of the day in the registers, often related to their own parish, but equally related to the major happenings in England/Scotland or wherever they were. Some of the registers I have looked at are dated based on the year of the Kings/Queens reign so the IGI transcribers have had to do some arithmetic to sort out the actual year.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk