Author Topic: parish register entries  (Read 7374 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: parish register entries
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 March 06 11:22 GMT (UK) »

20 Mar 1671 Mr. William Owen, the third son of Sr. William Owen, Knight, P rebendary of Worcester & Minister of Pontesbury bur.
Hee was a Reverend & learned Divine, a Loyall subject, an excellent friend, a tender husband, & most endearing & indulgent Parent, in a word hee was a Person of yt. great modestie, humilitie, charitie & hospitalitie which made him the best neighbor in the world. Hee was a publick loss & publickly lamented, for I never saw truer mourning & soe generall in all my life. Help Lord for good men decay 1

06 Mar 1748 Eliz., a bastard d. of Mary Bromley, a most for-sworn abominable whore bap.

23 Jan 1757 Samuel, a bastard s. of Eliz. Staunton, begotten by A, B, C, D, E, F, G, &c., &c. bap.

in a word hee was a Person of yt. great modestie, humilitie, charitie & hospitalitie which made him the best neighbor in the world. Hee was a publick loss & publickly lamented, for I never saw truer mourning & soe generall in all my life. -  I THOUGHT HE SAID "IN A WORD!"

06 Mar 1748 Eliz., a bastard d. of Mary Bromley, a most for-sworn abominable whore bap.  -  DO YOU THINK HE DOESN'T REALLY LIKE THIS WOMAN?

23 Jan 1757 Samuel, a bastard s. of Eliz. Staunton, begotten by A, B, C, D, E, F, G, &c., &c. bap. - HOW MANY???????

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 March 06 11:47 GMT (UK) »
In our modern era - would some be charged with libel? slander?

Very definite in their views it seems  :)  :)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 March 06 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi MarieC :)

I can only assume that when they entered "quorell " they ment the quarry which is now a green area here in the centre of Shrewsbury, from where the world famous Shrewsbury flower show is staged, being a town they would not have access to a village green where most of these events would have taken place,  on the last few I posted there is an unfortunate man drowned by ducking in the mill pond, from what I can recall of my history over here ( I hope I will be corrected by a more experianced reader ) , most villiages had a ducking stool by the villiage pond, the accused was strapped into the chair and lowered under the water for several periods of time, special attention was given to witches, the accused witch was strapped to the chair and lowered into the water, if she lived she was guilty, if she drowned she was innocent, the thinking being that if she lived, the devil was looking after her, and visa versa

As for the rain I would gladly swap some of your sunshine for what weve got here, yesterday morning driving to work minus 5, freezing fog, no fun, just poked my head out this morning its starting to snow ???

It amazes me how many readers are interested in just the mundane entries in the church records,

Best wishes,
Pete, :) :) :)
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 March 06 13:16 GMT (UK) »
But Pete they are interesting to read and some are so funny. Much more interesting than ours nowadays

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 March 06 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, :)

If you can make sense of this lot then I take my hat of to you. ( if I could afford to, they jost put the gas up 22 percent ), ???

[Inserted in the old Register between pages for  1611  and  1612.]
Whereas information has heretofore been given by ye p'ishoners & Inhabitants of ye Town of habberly whose names are hereunto subscribed yt 58 yers a goe or therabouts there was a peece of Gleib Land called ye black-sitch, conteining in Arable Land to or therabouts ye quantity of five acres, & about 1 acre & a half of medow ground adjoyning to ye [?]Hall-house of habberly, yn. in ye possession of Richard Norgrave, p'son of Habberly. Mr. Richard Mytton, Esqr., Ld. & patron of ye Manor & p'sonage of Habberly, desired ye sd. Richard Norgrave to permute ye sd. Craft for demains Land, wch. Mr. Norgrave refused, but not Long after Sir Edward Acton, of Audnome, coming to Habberly & being a friend to ye sd. p'son persuaded ye p'son to permute ye sd. peece of Gleib Land for 3 buts of demains Land & one litle medow called ye Lady Meadow, booth together amounting to ye equal value of ye p'sons craft adjoyning to a peece of Gleib Land called ye new leasow, wch. permutation continued good, w'thout paymt. of moneys from eyther p'ties as long as booth lived: & John Cooper, next Incumbent & a stranger to these things, was soone after imposed upon by one Bayly Hincks, Stuard to Mr. Thomas Mytton, who demanded rent of ye p'son Cooper for those 3 buts of Land & Lady medow wch were permuted for ye p'sons Craft & told ye p'son yt if he refused soe to do he would goe & procure a p'tie of horse to drive his Cattle & put him out of doors, & many other threats insomuch yt ye p'son yn greatly feared & payed him forty-shillings though he & all ye p'ishoners did verily believe he had it to his own private interest because severall other Like wrongs he did to ye rum of many of ye Ld's. tenents, ye Ld. yn. being & dying in London they could have noe reliefe, wch. made ye sd. John Cooper & ym willing to suffer for a time hoping yt when it pleased god to settle those distracted times, & allsoe yt. when ye next heir Mr. Richard Mytton came to age, yt. yn. they should have releife & when Mr. Richard Mytton, son & heir to Mr. Thomas Mytton came first to Habberly to keep his Courte Leight, & ye sd. John Cooper having procured severall witnesses who were p'sent at ye permutation of ye foresd. Land to testifie ye truth of what they did know, who touching these matters were heard & believed, & ye Ld. did yn. order yt. there should be a Terrierprocured, & if yt. peece of Land called ye Blacksitch was found to be Gleib Land he promised to restore it to ye Ch: & would take ye 3 buts of demain land & Litle medow into his possession, but in those times noe terrier could be had, & Thomas Cooper, next p'son, well knowing those things, procured ye ould men & women of ye p'ish & township of habberly, together wth. two of ye p'son Norgrave's Children, who were yn. & are yet Alive, who wear p'sent at ye permutation of ye aforesd. Lands to testifie ye same thing before named before William Owen, late p'son of Pontesbury, who being fully satisfied yt. it was a great wrong to ye Ch: & he rott a Letter to Rebecca Mytton & inclosed therein ye witnesses depositions, & her answer to Mr. Owen was yt. she desired yt. he would be content to let it rest till her son & heire Mr. Richard Mytton came to age, who sould then satisfie all those things wch. had been soe Long in dispute.
Notwithstanding ye sd. Rebecca Mytton hath held back whole tythes instead of yt. rent wch. was formerly & unjustly pd.
The witnesses names: John Rider, Richard Rider, Ricd. Howells, Mary Parks, Jane Norgrave, [torn] to ye sd. p'son Norgrave, Nathan Norgrave & Tho. Norgrave, sons to ye sd. p'son Norgrave, & many others.

Have fun Carol, :)

Pete, :) :)
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 March 06 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Simple - they were having a bit of trouble over some land. One didn't want to sell so they were offered other land to the equal amount of money as the first set of land. Then someone came in asking for rent or he would get the man's cattle off the land and throw him out. Then the first person got witnesses and letters were written to the original owner who decided they could have the land until her son, the heir, came of age and could settle it all properly.

Oh and the 40/s wasn't given back to  Richard Norgrave either

Bring it on Pete lol  ;D

Carol

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 March 06 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation, Pete!!

I knew that stuff about the ducking stool.  The poor women couldn't win, could they??

I don't want your freezing fog and snow, but I would like some rain!  The trouble about this country is, extremes.  On the coast (just 150-200 kilometres away) they have just had megarain, far too much, but we have missed out entirely!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 17:31 GMT (UK) »
H i all, :)

Just a quick one,

31 Jan 1767 Edwardus Weston sep.
[On the page after the foregoing eleven entries, and in the same hand, is written the following:--]
This is a very puzzling. This Register is not regular; this Register is quite puzling; this Register is quite foolish; Bad work indeed.
This is the most ill contrived Register, that is in England or Wales, or the Towns of Ber-upon Tweed.   :o :o :o

Pete, :)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete

I will have to go searching for my register transcripts. I have one where a complaint was made about the writing by another member of the church & an argument then took place - all written up in the register.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk