Author Topic: parish register entries  (Read 7373 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: parish register entries
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 02:27 GMT (UK) »
That one would be fun to read Trish

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 03:03 GMT (UK) »
That one would be fun to read Trish

Carol

But in my usual disorganised fashion I can't find it grrr

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 07:05 GMT (UK) »
You sure find some beauties, Pete!!!  ;D  ;D

I'm really enjoying this rich tapestry of English registers.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 07:30 GMT (UK) »
I found this in a collection of "Genealogical Gems" from Old Parish Registers

Let us start with a quotation from the Psalms:
'The Lord shall count, when he writeth up the people that this man was born there.'
(Psalm 87, verse 6)

However he hadn't reckoned on the vagaries of the Session Clerk:

'Any person that wants a child's name in any of the three preceding pages may scarcely expect to find it in the proper place. They being wrote by Mr King, late schoolmaster depute here without any regularity or order.'

And, in different handwriting and ink:

'The above ill natured ungentlemanlike observation was written by Mr James Whyte and stands as one mark of his own distinguished Idiotism.'
(Dunning, 1764; OPR 350/1, Fr 124)
'N.B. Let not Posterity be surprised that this register is not complete. It is and has been the custom of the Revd. Mr Peter Campbell ever since the Incumbency of the present Clerk to baptise Children: without a certificate of their names being registered. In consequence of which, it may safely be averred that one third if not one Half were given in.'
(Glossary, 1768; OPR 511/1, Fr 9)

and this:

Clearly little changes and marriage has always been an uncertain state:

Donald Camerone (Woodend) to Mary Cameron (Aharkile)
N.B. There has been something very odd about the above parties. They fast contracted and then split. Then agreed and with much regularity married, were not married passing 5 days when lo the weaker vessel set sail and steered her course for her mammy.'
(Strontian, Feb 1833 - OPR 505-3/2, Fr-)

and this:
A committee appointed to examine the Register of Baptisms 1836 - 1839. Comment - "a mass of confusion".A very slight inspection of this record convinced the Committee that the entries had not been made with a degree of care proportional to its importance ...

'... a child is represented to have been baptised about a week before birth, a circumstance not likely to have occurred.'
(Dundonald, 1839)

These and many more at:
http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/from-our-records/gems.html

Hilarious - Enjoy,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Berlin-Bob :)

How on earth did we come to rule two thirds of the globe,?  ???

The  14 Mar 1613.
For that Richard Ward, of Cotton, in the parish of Wem & County of Salop, gent., is notoriously sicke & enforced for ye Recovery of his health to eate flesh for the time of his sickness, therefore I Richard Sanky parson of the sayd parish forasmuch as in me lieth by force of th' authority to mee given by the Statute made in 5th yeare of the late soveraigne lady Elizabeth do license the sayd Richard Ward to eate flesh according to ye contents of ye said statute.
By mee Ric. Sanky rector of Wem.

Hi Carol :)
Ive took my hat of to you, unfortunatly its stopped snowing and started raining,  ???, Ive got another to sort out here somewhere, looks like one vicar is trying to throw another vicar of his patch, will post when I can find it,

Hi MarieC :)

John Barnes elected Parish Clerke by the Revnd. Doctor Henry Aldrage Deane of Christ Church, Oxon, Rector of Wem, Anno Dom.  1707 , And was elected under schoolmaster  1712.
In the year  1739  there was a terriable frost which began about Saint Thomas' Day & Lasted till the later end of  Feb 1739. It was exstrame coold the news-papers gave account that severall people parished by the Cold. This naborwood ware prittey wel of for from  16 Jan 1739  to  10 Feb 1739  there was not a day except Sundays but there came to Town severall Wagons & carte loads of Coals & Most sold as chape as in summer.
 01 Apr 1743  being Good Friday a very cold cutting
wind, the 2 a great frost attended with a cutting wind, the 3
being Easter Sunday & a hard frost.

MarieC,   I will swap ( some )  weather any day.

Best wishes,
Pete, :) :)
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 09 March 06 00:00 GMT (UK) »
We've had rain as well Pete - much better than snow

Looking forward to deciphering the next one hahaha

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 09 March 06 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol. :)

How you deciepher this lot beats me,?

N.B.--On  26 Jul 1749 ; at the Nisi Prius Bar in Shrewsbury, came on, by Writ of Quare impedit, before Baron Clive, a trial concerning the right of Advowson of the Rectory of Smethcott, wherein Mr. Richard Beddow, of Cotton Hill in Salop (the only son and heir, then living, to John Beddow, Cler. late Rector of Smethcott, and of Anne his wife, one of the daughters of Richard Philippes of Netley Esqr., patron of the Rectory of Smethcott) was Plaintiff, and Mrs. Catherine Pope of Woolstaston, spinster, Mr. Joseph Orme, Cler. Curate of Clunbury, and the Right Revd. Richard Lord Bp. of Lich. and Coven. were Defendants. After tedious impleadings of six hours long, the Special Jury, who were some of the principal Men in the County, next Morn brought in their verdict for the plaintiff, and two years Value of the benefice for damages according to Stat. 2nd Westr. At Michaelmas Term following judgment was given at Westminster upon that verdict, and a Writt issued out to the Bp. to amove Joseph Orme, the Usurpative Incumbent, and to admitt a fit clerk at the presentation of Richard Beddow, the true patron in full right.
The very next week after the verdict given at Salop, the Usurpative Incumbent Joseph Orme, in order to shun the odious reproach of being formally amoved by the Bp's Injunction and Inhibition affixed on the Church Door, which he was informed would of course succeed the Verdict, and Judgment when given at Westminster, and also to avoid the restoration of the profits of the benefice since the decease of the last legall Incumbent, Mr. Thomas Beddow (viz., the  26 Jun 1746 , to the time of his amoval) and no less desirous to secure his usurping Patroness Mrs. Pope from payment of the damages, waited on the sd. Lord Bp. of Lich. and Cov. (Dr. Richard Smalbroke) at Eccleshall Castle, praying his Ldsp. to accept his resignation of the Benefice, upon which condition he wth proper security wd execute a penal bond of £500 to indemnify his Ldsp. and successors for ever. The resignation was accepted, and Orme withdrew to his old Cure at Clunbury. In  Nov  the Bp. was serv'd with the Writt, who immediately sent to the legal patron Mr. Richard Beddow, requiring him to present a fit Clerk to the Rectory of Smethcott; but before he had presented, the same Bp. dy'd at London in  Dec 1749.In  Feb  following, Dr. Fred. Cornwallis was consecrated Bp. of Lich. and Cov., and in  Mar  following Mr. Beddow presented his Clerk, David Rice, Cler. Curate of Leebottwood and Longnor, who was since the late Incumbent's death (viz. Mr. Thos. Beddow's) the only and singular friend of Mr. Richard Beddow in the whole affair. He waited of the New Bp. at London, was admitted and instituted Rector of Smethcott, and in  Apr  following was inducted personally to the same, to the universal joy and satisfaction of all haters of oppression and wrong, and of all true lovers of Truth, Justice, Honesty and Virtue.

To me this is double Dutch, ???

22 Apr 1715  This day, at about 9 aclock in ye morning, there was a total eclipse of ye Sun, so near being total yt ye whole globe of it appeared to the eye wholly hid, which lasted above two minutes. Several stars appeared, and everything look'd much darker than in ye twilight; insomuch yt ye largest Prints cou'd not be read in open fields; nor hardly any Body be seen in Houses.

14 Mar 1716/7  It began to snow at 5 a'clock in ye afternoon; and without any intermission continued till noon ye 16th. Though a strong wind blew all ye while, yt drove ye snow into hollow Places to so great a height as to make ye roads altogether impracticable, yet was ye snow upon ye level in ye garden behind ye Castle found at least 13 inches deep, and sixteen in ye court before it. It did snow again and freeze excessive hard all ye next night, and ye night following. A vast number of sheep were buryed under ye snow 20 or 30 and more of ym together. The sheep yt lay buryed five or six daies escaped, but those which continued longer under were found dead. So great a snow in so short a time, and in a season so far advanced had never been seen by any body in ye Parish. It occasioned, as it had done ye year before, a mighty bright Meteor in ye air, in ye night, some few daies after it had wasted away.
 10 Sep 1717. The Moon happened then to be totally eclipsed at six in ye afternoon; but ye weather proving foul at yt very time, ye Eclipse was hardly perceived.

28 Apr 1722 Anne Cowley bur.
 28 Apr 1722 james Barnsley bur.
The same day these two Children were buryed, there was another dead in this Parish, ye Small Par then raging in it in a very mortal manner. ( whats this about,? )

Good luck to you on this one,

Pete, :) :) :)

Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 09 March 06 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm not giving up - just need a couple of days to read and get through it lol

Carol

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 10 March 06 06:46 GMT (UK) »

28 Apr 1722 Anne Cowley bur.
 28 Apr 1722 james Barnsley bur.
The same day these two Children were buryed, there was another dead in this Parish, ye Small Par then raging in it in a very mortal manner. ( whats this about,? )

Pete, :) :) :)

I haven't come to terms with the big one at all, Pete, but could this one be talking about smallPOX (don't know why it says small par!!  ???)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland