Author Topic: parish register entries  (Read 7372 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: parish register entries
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 March 06 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish!  Wish I could find a parish register with a Vicar who was similarly chatty!!  The ones I've looked at are very basic!!  :(

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 March 06 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish!  Wish I could find a parish register with a Vicar who was similarly chatty!!  The ones I've looked at are very basic!!  :(

MarieC

Never fear, you will eventually meet the chatty ones   :) :) :)  -  or Pete will  find some more examples to share

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 March 06 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Isleham (Cambs) burial register 25Apr1715
DAVY Alice [in margin - was most barberously murdered being both shot and strangled in the Croft or Close directly opposite to the backside of the Vicargae House which Croft or Close isnowin the Tneure of Occupation of Mr John DORLING, the vicars Richard SWANNs Churchwarden by one John LEACH of this parish wheelwright in the Night between the 21 and 22 of April AD 1715 for which Fact he was soon after Apprehended at St Edmonds Bury & on Saturday Aug 20th being very full of smallpox justly by his own confession executed at Cambridge for the same. Memorandum They were out asked [ie their banns had been called for the last time.]

Not sure if the execution was justified in the Clerk's mind by the deed or by the smallpox. It is not clear. But a very useful record of the heinous crime!
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 March 06 10:47 GMT (UK) »
These vivid stories that are in some Parish Registers!!!

Have heard of people being shot in the head and the stomach, but never before in the croft!!!  ;D  It sounds painful!

MarieC
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 March 06 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Not half as painful as being strangled in the Croft! Coincidentally, I live less than 20 yards from where the deed was committed. Just as well I don't believe in ghosts.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 March 06 20:33 GMT (UK) »
That beats mine Nick, :)

09 Apr 1647 Marie, d. of Robartt Huett, smith bur.
[Marginal note.] It rayned in this month sutch store of raine, that ther was sutch a flood as hath seldom bin the like seene.

12 Dec 1647 Rabecka, d. of Thomas & Sara Barber bap.
 1647  [Marginal note opposite 17th.] 23 of this month was a woman burned in the quorell for poysong her husband.

[Marginal note] The plaige begun in Shrowsbure the  12 Jun 1650  in Frankwell, at John Conie's howse--Thomas Heayes, Esqre., Maior of Shrowsbury.
[pl. for plague is now added ofter the B. for buried.]

16 Oct 1651 John Benbow, captaine, was shot at the Castle bur.

20 May 1660 John, s. of Ellies & Anne Jones bap.
[In margin:] King Charles the second entred London on ye  29 May 1660  after 16 yeares exile & in the 12 yeare of his raine it being the day on wich he was borne and the 30 yeare of his age wich day is yearely to be observed in memory of his maiesties happie restoration whom God grant long to raine A blessing to his Church & victorious over his ennimies.

1678  Collected in the parish of Wroxc: towards rebuildinge St. Pauls Church the summe of one pounds eight shillinges tenn pence, by Tho: Blackmore, Vic: ibidem. Oliv. Clemson, Nic. Grice, Wardens.  ( would that be the great one destroyed in the fire? )

22 Sep 1605 Alice Ward was bap., hir mother was brought to bed in the way com'inge from Sallop.

23 May 1610 William Bould was bur., he died suddenly wth meate in his mouth.

Pete, :) :) :)

Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 March 06 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Nick and Pete - Do keep them coming.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 March 06 09:36 GMT (UK) »
("Insert quote" button doesn't seem to be working...)

I agree with Trish!  Keep 'em coming!

Can I ask what was this "quorell" that a woman was burned in for "poysong" her husband??  ???  ???

And I wish I could discover how to induce "sutch store of raine", we could do with such an event here!!!!!

MarieC

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 March 06 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, :)

07 Sep 1625 Richard, s. of Griffith Davies bap.
The mother was delivered at the house of Widow Burgesse in Westley & buried the weeke after, the father is runne forth of the country but there was a bonde for to save the parish harmeles, taken by the Vicar, & given to the Wardens & a promise also registred in the end of this booke under the hand of him that did promise to the same purpose.
[Note in margin.-The child is dead and buried.]

07 Jun 1636 William Cockins, drowned in the mill-poole by ducking bur.

20 Mar 1671 Mr. William Owen, the third son of Sr. William Owen, Knight, P rebendary of Worcester & Minister of Pontesbury bur.
Hee was a Reverend & learned Divine, a Loyall subject, an excellent friend, a tender husband, & most endearing & indulgent Parent, in a word hee was a Person of yt. great modestie, humilitie, charitie & hospitalitie which made him the best neighbor in the world. Hee was a publick loss & publickly lamented, for I never saw truer mourning & soe generall in all my life. Help Lord for good men decay 1

06 Mar 1748 Eliz., a bastard d. of Mary Bromley, a most for-sworn abominable whore bap.

15 Dec 1748 Joyce Gardner, a wandering Girl belonging to the Parish of Frodsley bur.
[Written in red ink.]
The Officers of Frodsley did inhumanely refuse to receive her without an Order, but er'e the same could be procured, she died miserably in a Barn at Wheathall.

23 Jan 1757 Samuel, a bastard s. of Eliz. Staunton, begotten by A, B, C, D, E, F, G, &c., &c. bap.

10 Jun 1757 Sarah Roberts, from Frodsley ??
She cut her Throat but was deem'd non compos mentis by the wise men of that Town.

10 Aug 1758 Thos. Hincks, a bastard s. of Jane Mousel, a most egregious Whore & Adulteress, & begotten by Thos. Hincks, an u'paralel'd Rogue & Adulterer bap.

18 Nov 1764 The Honourable Elizabeth, d. of the Right Honourable Robt. Lord Clive, Baron of Plassey in the County of Clare in the Kingdom of Ireland, Major General in the East Indies, Governour of Bengal, Commander in Cheif of the East India Company's Forces, & Knight of the Honourable Order of the Bath, and of that truely Amiable and Right Honourable Lady the Lady Margaret Clive bap.
An Aged Sire's longing Eyes to feast And fill with Rapture his Clorinda's Breast From Indostan unto his native shore With Laurels crown'd may Clive as heretofore Return, Thou, King of Heaven, we implore,

03 May 1782 Mary Davies, wid., of Dorrington bur.
She was barbarously murder'd in her House by person or persons unknown.
[Added in other ink.]--Sarah Turner, the murderess, was hanged at Shrewsbury.

15 Sep 1623 Joan Lidgeley, widow. ringing for her the great bell of St. Maries was broke.

as they say in the loony tunes,  thats all for now folks.
Pete, :) :) :)
ps I did try to post a long passage of a land dispute cir 1611, but with these ive exceeded my 5500 characters, i will try it on ita own
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /