Author Topic: Naval Picture query  (Read 622 times)

Offline jasperaliceuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Naval Picture query
« on: Monday 27 February 06 21:49 GMT (UK) »
The attached photo was one of two found in an album belonging to a great uncle.

I recently decided to detach them from the album to see if anything was written on the back and on this one two pieces of information came to light.

Firstly, the photographer was Ernest Brooks, apparently a WW1 photographer commission by the Admiralty.  The stamp says ' Pay fee to Central News'

Secondly, a typed label on the back, most of which was legible, says that the diver in the picture is the Prince of Wales trying on a suit to see what it was like to wear, during a tour on the HMS Ren...... (the type is missing but I believe this be to HMS Renown as I could only find one battleship starting with these letters).  Further research on the internet tells me that the Prince of Wales carried out a tour of Australia via America, India and Japan in 1921/22 on the HMS Renown.

I have no idea if my surmises are correct but I also have no idea whether any of the seamen in the picture are relatives.  The fact that they are in a family album makes me think there must be some connection.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding out the crew list for the ship on this tour?  I don't really know where to start.

The other photograph by the way is again I believe of the Prince of Wales with a group of officers along with some ladies.   I have yet to scan the photo but if I have successfully posted this one (my first attempt!) I will do the other.

Any help greatly received.

Thank you
Sue
ROBINS - Devon, Kensington, Southwark, Hackney, Willesden, TIMBRELL - Berkeley, TARLING - St Pancras, WARD - St Pancras, DUKES - Cannock, Aylesbury, St Pancras, LILLYWHITE - St Pancras, WALTER - Croydon, Willesden, BICKFORD - East Stonehouse, GROVES - Harrow on the Hill, Willesden