Author Topic: Spooky experiences while researching  (Read 100991 times)

Offline SJohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Spooky experiences while researching
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I've only been doing the family history for a few years now and STOKE DAMEREL would come up a lot - I had been following what I believed to be my lot (natives of the West Country). Some gentlemen were Marines or RMA gun-crew and had been stationed in the Naval Dockyard.

However, I found out much to my chagrin that these were not my lot and that we hailed from Surrey.

Changing tack, I had a brief look and found my 3xgt? grandfather (on Mum's side). He was born in St Mary's, STOKE DAMEREL.
In memory of 29184 Jones, Pte, 7th Bn DCLI d. 12/02/1914. Remembered, Frank.

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Meldrew,

I am so pleased to read that your wife survived the stroke, and that (I presume) she has now found her brother :)

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 21:49 GMT (UK) »
My Grandad's GGGGG, GGGG and GGG grandparents (all paternal) were living on the next street to my grandmother's (his wife's) GGGG and GGG grandparents (all paternal).

That spooked me a bit - I wonder if they knew eachother!

Andrew

Offline wotty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 23 March 06 13:01 GMT (UK) »
I found it quite spooky when I discovered that my great great great grandfather was an attendant at an asylum in Yorkshire at roughly the same time as my husband's great great grandfather was an attendant there.

The bizarre thing about it is that my relative was a Yorkshire man but my husband's was from Stoke Damerel and soon went back to Devon to become a bandsman in the Royal Marines.

I like to imagine that they knew each other for a while.

Wotty.
Meehan - Co Durham, Ireland, USA and Canada
Hopps -  Co Durham and N. Yks
Ward, Mortimer, Littleboy - Norfolk
Angus -  Co Durham
Pyle -  Co Durham and Northumberland
Rowntree -  N Yks and Co Durham
Ridley - Co Durham
Kelly -  Co Durham and Ireland

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I've just been reading this thread and found it fascinating!!

I don't know if this counts though!!

Back in June 1998 I made trip to the FRC in London for various research purposes. The previous year we had got a transcribed copy of the marriage of my gt grandparents (with errors!) and had been unable to find the original in the indexes.

Now on this FRC visit I had no intention of looking this marriage up! But having finished downstairs and on my way to go upstairs to the census area I suddenly found myself drawn to the aisle containing marriages for amongst others the year 1917, and before I knew it, I was standing in front of the volume for the September quarter 1917. And yes, your absolutely right I found the marriage!!

I am afraid, I was unable to keep quiet and let out a yell of delight and received a few looks from other researchers present!! I can still remember the feeling of elation even now!!

Regards,

David

Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 23:50 BST (UK) »
I  found this thread fascinating too, unfortunately I have not had any spooky experiences  myself but perhaps in time, you never know.

Patrish.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 21:26 BST (UK) »

Now on this FRC visit I had no intention of looking this marriage up! But having finished downstairs and on my way to go upstairs to the census area I suddenly found myself drawn to the aisle containing marriages for amongst others the year 1917, and before I knew it, I was standing in front of the volume for the September quarter 1917. And yes, your absolutely right I found the marriage!!

I am afraid, I was unable to keep quiet and let out a yell of delight and received a few looks from other researchers present!! I can still remember the feeling of elation even now!!

Regards,

David

Those little yells of delight always sound louder than they should be don't they? lol

There were probably a few pangs of jealousy that you had found something

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline helentucker

• I am very sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 30 March 06 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm new here and also found this thread fascinating.
I'm divided over whats spooky or coincidental but theres certainly occasionally some remarkable stories.
Fwiw, in a nutshell, i was born approx 600miles away and have lived both sides of the Atlantic, moving around with my dad's job etc.
Through marriage, i ended up in a small Scottish fishing village.
Now through family research i've discovered that my late dad's ancestors were born and worked for generations not 5 miles from here.
He didnt know. However i've found 2nd cousins of his etc which is lovely.
Perhaps not spooky but bizarre... definitely kinda comforting (and easier to research!)

Helen
McRae - Petty/Ardersier
McRae - Moray
McDonald - Cromdale
McDonald - Petty
McArthur - Ardersier
MacKenzie - Skye
Cumming - Dallas,Moray
MacIntosh - Laggan

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 30 March 06 16:10 BST (UK) »
Through all the many years I have been researching my families I have often wondered if there was someone or something lookng over my shoulder just waiting for the moment to make me look at something, or pointed out a book to be looked at, these are 2 or 3 of the things that have happened.

I am an inveterate browser of books, stand me in front of a row of books I will work my way thro' them, just glancing to see what they are about.  I was researching my family from Leicestershire in the Middle Library at the Society of Genealogists, again just browsing thro' the books on Leics when I saw a thin book, Wills proved at the Archdeaconry of Leics.   Picked it up & turned to sit at the long table  between the shelves.  The book slipped out of my hands, landed on the table, opened flat.   There, staring me in the face was the will of my 5 X great grandfather, Samuel Whinyates who died 27th Apr. 1782, not only that but there was an inventory of all his property, farmhouse, animals, land etc.  Like someone else I let out such a yelp, usually frowned on in a library but the folk around me all gathered round to read this, having a good laugh at one of the items in one of the bedchambers, " 12 sheets, most of them old ones".  Well, we all have some of those.   

On another occasion, I was winding a census film on a reader in the FRO, it was badly out of focus so stopped it to adjust it.  This was at the start of the film, what I wanted way way off to the end, but when I had focused the page, there was a family I had been looking for years, in a totally different place to where I thought they should be.  A similar thing on a census, I had not been able to find a person in the1851census, I was checking an entry for a totally different family, which turned out to be correct, when I saw the last entry on the family living next door, it was my missing person entered as a visitor, nothing at all to do with the family I was researching.

It does make you wonder if there is a guiding hand.

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk