Author Topic: Hendersons Brighton Sussex 1851 on  (Read 5355 times)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hendersons Brighton Sussex 1851 on
« on: Tuesday 28 February 06 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Can someone please look up 1851/61/71 census to find Henderson family:
Robert bc1784 wife Janet bc1794
children:
James b1815, Elisabeth b1817, Robert b1819, Janet b1821, Margaret b1823, Allison b1825, Jean b1826, Marion b1829 and Helen b1832- they were all born in Scotland but I believe they moved south with another brother George who I know lived in Brighton.
Many thanks for any help on this mystery as I can't find them in Scotland.
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great Grandpa William Hillman
    • View Profile
Re: Hendersons Brighton Sussex 1851 on
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 21:27 GMT (UK) »
1851 Woodslee house, Patcham
Alice Henderson b1825 Scotland servant to Helen Madden
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry that Alice was an Alison!
I have founf 2 James' both born in 1817 Scotland 1 in Nottinghamshire the other in Lancs...where all children born in Scotland? no sign of the parents tho!
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Penninah,
Yes as far as I know from another contact on this site, they were found to be born in Moreham in the Haddington parish of Scotland. George b1818 moved south, married a local girl in 1850 in Brighton and they lived in East Preston for the rest of their lives.
George was the 1st safety-valve inspector for the London,Brighton and South Coast Railway, before that he worked on the East Stratford Railway on the east coast. I wondered if his brothers were also engineers on the railway which was a relatively new thing in those days! He was a strong trade unionist and started the Co-operative movement and store in Brighton.
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 11:35 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census HO107/1644  Folio 147  page 28

There is an Elizabeth Henderson servant, Maid born Scotland age 22 -
she is in the household of a Dr Charles J M Williams, Dr Medicine in Kemptown, Brighthelmstone - my best guess at the house name is Shawfey or Shenley House, Ashlingworth Street.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suey,
No I don't think thats the same one-mine is spelt Elisabeth with a s instead of z and was born 1817. Thanks anyway.

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Ok,

I've had a real hunt around for them all on the census' No sign of Marion, Helen, Elisabeth, Janet or Jean....It could be that they where married by the 51 census! I did find a Margaret Henderson on the 51 living at 76 Upper Ebury St, St George Hanover Square, Middlesex. She is an unmarried school mistress born 1822 Scotland.

As for the boys, There are 2 Roberts on the 51, One living in Kent born in 1817 Scotland although on the 61 census he's down as 1819. He's working as a land and house steward. The other is in Leicestershire born Scotland 1817 and working for the Inland Revenue.
On the 61 there are 3 roberts, the same 2 as above and another also living in Leicestershire, born Scotland 1818 and working as a wine and spirit merchant.

As for James, there are 4 on the 51, 1 in Nottinghamshire who was born in Scotland 1817 and working as a Carpenter. Another in Durham, born Noofen-Scotland 1817 and working as a mason. Another in Leicestershire born Scotland 1817 and working as an Enginesmith and finally another in Middlesex born Edenbridge, Scotland 1815. Works as a Tailor.

However this is interesting! On the 61 i have found a James Henderson in Middlesex;

1861 census, 48 Hawley Rd St Pancras Marylebone-

James Henderson head aged 47 occupation Foreman on Railway (Loco dept) born Scotland.
Annie Henderson wife 50 born Scotland
James ''  aged 24 son occupation; Railway engineer born Scotland
Annie ''  aged 23 daughter occupation; Dressmaker born Scotland
Edward ''  aged 20 occupation; Railway engineer born Bedlington, Northumberland
Zellah ''  aged 16 daughter occupation; assistant teacher born Northumberland
Ada ''  aged 9 daughter. Scholar born northamptonshire

Marriages;-

Marion Henderson december qtr 1852, Wirrel district Cheshire to either George Locking or Archibald McMartin.

There are 8 Helen Henderson marriages between June qtr 1843 and September qtr 1858.

There are an awful lot of Margaret Henderson marriages!!

Janet Henderson marriage june qtr 1838 St Pancras 4 possible husbands to choose from! Id say the St Pancras James Henderson is looking likely! if this is them theyve worked there way down to London!

No sign of an Elisabeth tho!

Jean Henderson death east london march qtr 1846. cert no 2/145

I hope that this is of some help!

Penninah  ;)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Penninah for your painstaking research, its a bit difficult to filter all the relevant ones. However, another contact has found that Marion did remain in Scotland and died there, so thats one less to worry about in Sussex!

Offline Neilo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 December 10 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cockneyrebel,
I have some information about Robert and Janet Henderson because their daughter Margaret (b. 7 June 1823) married an ancestor of mine Henry Gurr. If you wish to discuss how this might be of use please set out any areas that are of interest. Incidently, I assume George Henderson is a brother of Robert and not his son also a Robert. The former was born on 24 December 1803 and the latter on 9 March 1818.
 Regards,
Casalin1