Author Topic: Hendersons Brighton Sussex 1851 on  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hendersons Brighton Sussex 1851 on
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 06:56 GMT (UK) »
I have not fully investigated what has gone before, but I picked out one thing you wrote earlier that may hold some relevance.   You wrote:  "George b1818 moved south, married a local girl in 1850 in Brighton and they lived in East Preston for the rest of their lives."
If the 1881 census is a guide, the local girl was Martha Weymark from Westham in Sussex.  They were then living in Preston Village near Brighton, but not EAST PRESTON which is just outside Worthing.  George is down as an Engine fitter and therefore probably worked at The Brighton Loco Works.
Roy G

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casalin1,
I'd be most interested in the marriage details of Margaret Henderson and Henry Gurr. I already have some Gurrs' in my tree related to my maternal Weymarke line of whom George Henderson's wife was a member!
Perhaps they met at George's wedding?
CR
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy G,
You are quite correct, I found out later that it was Preston, Brighton rather than East Preston. George was a founder of the Brighton co-op movement and a strong trade unionist. He was the 1st safety valve inspector on the LB&SC railway and his sons and grandsons followed in his footsteps. He was mentioned in a book called 'The Sacred Band' published in 1946 but now out of print; I've a few relevant pages from it.
CR
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Depending on how deeply you want to go into things, the following may interest you.
Amongst the resources deposited in the Brighton Local History Centre is a small 8 or so page booklet published circa 1896 that tells the history of The Brighton Loco Works.  It includes a few early photographs of the engine workshops where your ancestor must have worked.  It interested me because several of my ancestors were boilermakers there.

If you ever visit the site of the Loco works (sadly its totally gone) but in New England Road to the west of the bridge, the time keepers hut where the workers clocked in and out is still there, albeit hidden in the summer because its covered in ivy.  It is however clearly visible behind a newly bricked up wall on the streetside view of Gooogle maps.  Find The Cobblers Thumb pub in New England Road and move to the right of it and under the bridge.
Roy G

Offline Neilo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 14:24 GMT (UK) »
CR,
Where do I start? Well, Robert Henderson (b. 1794) was appointed as farm bailiff some time around 1841. He moved from Haddingtonshire, now East Lothian with his wife Janet (nee Clarkson) with I believe his seven daughters. His three sons I thought remained in Scotland. The daughters were Elizabeth 1817, Janet 1821, Margaret 1823, Alison 1825, Jean 1826, Marion 1829 and Helen 1832.
Margaret married Henry Gurr 1842 in Lindfield Sussex and they had 11 children. I am related to the first born William George Gurr 1843 and the last child was Margaret Gurr 1863. Margaret Gurr senior died a few days after Margaret junior was born.
Robert Henderson married again  after 1841 Janet Henderson died in 1844 possibly of bowel cancer. Robert died in 1855 whist still bailiff of Pippinford estate, in the Ashdown Forest, of brain disease.
William George relocated to London where he became a master baker dying in 1925, he being my maternal great Grandfather. I have other information Margaret and Henry’s other siblings but I do not know if they are of interest

George Henderson that you refer to, is he a brother or son of Robert Henderson? If he is a brother it may help to explain how Robert heard of the post at Pippinford when he was resident in Morehambank a hamlet near to Haddington, East Lothian. Perhaps when you get a moment can you tell me more about George Henderson and his marriage to a Gurr?
Regards,
Casalin1

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casalin1,
I have loads of info on the Hendersons' but didn't realise that Margaret had made the trip to Sussex with her parents, James, Elisabeth and Robert stayed in Scotland. I didn't see Margaret on the Sussex 1841 census so thought she was elsewhere!
My Sussex geography is not very good especially regarding the villages and estates.
George b1818 was my 2nd ggrandfather and came from Scotland via the Stratford and East Coast Railway, he joined the Brighton Railway in about 1846, whether he got to the south before his father, Robert, I don't know.
I am very interested in all the Henderson descendants and would be pleased to see your side of our family-we must be related in some way directly.
I've a tree on Ancestry and GenesReunited but neither are as up to date as the one at:
http://rosserhenderson.tribalpages.com, the vp is rosser, perhaps you'd like to see it and help me update it with your family information.
My e-mail is: johnwrosser@gmail.com if you'd prefer to contact me that way.
Many thanks,
CR