Author Topic: Chelsea Pensioner  (Read 2753 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Chelsea Pensioner
« on: Wednesday 01 March 06 01:00 GMT (UK) »
My Great Great Great Grandad was William Thomas born 1780 in Llanbedrgoch. I have chased him through the census' from 1841 to 1861 and it is the 1861 census that is confusing me a bit

In 1816 he married Ellen Jones and he was a farmer. Also a farmer when his son William was born in 1817.
In 1841 he was a sailmaker living in Pentraeth aged 61
In 1851 he was a labourer aged 71
1861 he is 81 years old and gives his occupation as Chelsea Pensioner.

Now maybe I am just making myself out to be a bit stupid but I didn't think they had Chelsea Pensioners then. I thought they were soldiers who had fought in WW1 & WW2.

My history, as far as wars or battles of any kind, is rubbish so can anyone tell me which war or battle he may have been involved with between 1851 and 1861? And where would I find info on it?  And how would I be able to find out how he was involved?

Thanks for the time

carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea Pensioner
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, he could have been a Chesea pensioner. My ancestor was one and he joined the equivalent of the Household Cavalry in 1815, and left after 25 years service with ill health.

You might be able to find records for him by doing a search at the national archives: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/?homelink=main_military

I think he is rather old to have been a military man in the time frame of 1851 to 1861 The Crimean war period, however, he might have been at 'Trafalgar' see this list : http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Trafalgar/ There is a William Thomas on the Sirius. ( also see :http://www.nelsonsnavy.co.uk/battle-of-trafalgar.html

Perhaps he fought with Wellington against Napoleon ?
http://www.britishbattles.com/waterloo/waterloo-june-1815.htm  fascinating stuff! good hunting!

Griz :)
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, I found out that I had a "Chelsea Pensioner" too, (census 1851 and 1841) he was born 1786, and served 1804 - 1822, it just means he had an army pension, pensioners could be "Out pensioners" or In, where they lived in at Chelsea I suppose.
Try asking on the Armed Forces Board, I had some great help from there.
If you search the National ARchives site you can find his record and the series number, they are at Kew, if you are lucky you can find his record there.
I paid a researcher to find mine, and I have a fantastic record of his personal details, hair colour, eyes, height, complexion, and all the details of where he served, and for how long in each area, and how much his pension was. he served from 1804 - 1822,  I have the exact dates, and it also tells me how long he served before his 18th birthday (in days), discharged as "worn out in the service"
Mine guarded Napoleon in St Helena for a long time.

oops just read griz's message!, he has given you the link for the National Archives
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Griz and newbie

Have looked through the sites though cannot get enough out of them to be certain it is him. I will keep hoping something pops up. His son William born 1817 was a Master Mariner and his Grandson William Rochard Thomas was also a Master Mariner and was a Royal Navy reserve in 1881 so I reckon he will have been in the Navy rather than Army.

Someone on another board actually said that the pensions came from Chelsea hence the Chelsea pensioner but they were army. The Navy came out of Greenwich but have never heard of Grennwich pensioners so maybe Chelsea pensioners was a name for everyone regardless of army or navy

Thanks for the help anyway

carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 06 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Newbie, my poor chap was described as "well worn out" too. :)   Also, he had rheumatism and bronchitis and a bad cough. They said he looked much older that his 'stated age."  they must have had doubts,  perhaps, that he had given his corrct age when he enlisted.

Poor fellows must have had a hard life.
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.