Author Topic: An Error in transription or Spooky coincidence?  (Read 7749 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: An Error in transription or Spooky coincidence?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 March 06 15:38 GMT (UK) »
On the 1911 for "Knowlton Distributing Home" as they refer to it, there is no Charlotte Evans mentioned.

There is a Lizzie Evans from England living with a Smith family in Quebec who was born c1898 and is listed as an adopted daughter?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline llysfaen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Charlotte Howlett, William, Pearl, Joan, Brenda
    • View Profile
Re: An Error in transription or Spooky coincidence?
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 March 06 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Karen.

Charlotte (my late grandmother) was sent to Canada when she was 11 or 12, and if she was the C. Evans that Jorose has kindly pointed to, then she would have been at 'Knowlton Distributing Home' in 1909, and would probably have already been moved on to her new 'family' by 1911.

I think Mr MacDonald is the most likely person she would be staying with at his farm.
(sings 'Old MacDonald Had A Farm') :)

Unless, of course, the children stayed at Knowlton Distributing Home for a few years until a 'family' was found?

Thank you very much indeed for your interest and help, Karen.
Knowing (thanks to you) the name of the home in Knowlton wherein my grandmother was 'processed' brings to me a powerful sense of the reality of her experience, and the trace of a tear to my eye...

..... Steven.

Potts      (West Bromwich, Wolverhampton & Warrington)
Bennett  (West Bromwich & Warrington)
Robins    (Kensington)
Howlett  (Norwich & Liverpool)
Denton   (Prescot)
Shaw      (Prescot)
Wileman (Liverpool, Hull, Lincolnshire)