Author Topic: The worst surnames to search for?  (Read 12712 times)

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The worst surnames to search for?
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 21:55 BST (UK) »
At the end of the day, you rue the common names in your family history (eg Smith anywhere, Davies in Wales).

But the more unusual names like Crone and Boys, you think will be easy-peasy, but of course, these are the names which will be mispelled on the original censuses, or mistranscribed by Ancestry!

Clare (or my new name Clara - mistranscribed by the GRO!)
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 06 April 06 08:24 BST (UK) »
Martin, particularly Mary Martin.  I have three in my own family alone.  There are absolutely zillions out there!  But far too many of any Martin name I put in.  (At least I don't get rude stuff up, I suppose!!  Gotta be grateful for small mercies!)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 08 April 06 02:13 BST (UK) »
I think I am the only peson in the world looking for these surnames:

Rockebrandt
Borgwardt
Torborg

(The Full name is: Melsine Wilhelmina Rockebrandt Torborg)  Yickes!!!!!!!!!!!!
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 08 April 06 12:17 BST (UK) »
My nans real father, who died when she was a baby, was called Thomas Smith - we do not have his wedding certificate and we know nothing about him.  Trying to search for a death of Thomas Smith between 1917-1920 in the West Midlands is crazy - we don't know if he died because of the war, because of that flu thing after the war, due to natural causes, nothing, but it's not going to be easy until we get the wedding certificate I guess!  I dread tracing his family!
There is also Smith on my fathers side aswell.

My surname is O'Driscoll, my Irish ancestors come from Dublin, Swords and Cork - I'm not sure how hard that is going to be to trace yet...

The furthest ancestors I have are Adams and Burton (I love that combination :D ) and the Scott family from Sutton In Ashfield, apparently there were many Scotts there! 
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams
Buckinghamshire - Burrows, Woodward, Adams
Ireland (Dublin/Malahide/Cork) - O'Driscoll, Henvy, Gallaghan

Offline Headbanger Veron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 generations 1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 08 April 06 12:38 BST (UK) »
Mine is ELLESON - yes, not ELLISON - because everyone, including census enumerators, scribes at the GRO - and even present day doctors and dentists - think it's spelt wrong and "correct" it  :(

Veron
All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Currently researching:
ABRAHAMS (Essex/Woolwich), CARPENTER (Kent)
CLEMENTS (London), CRADDOCK (Sheerness)
HORTON (Birmingham)
MUNCASTER (Whitehaven then Manchester, Scotland, Suffolk and Canada!)
TANCOCK (Devon/Cornwall),
WILSON (Edinburgh)
among others.....

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 09 April 06 11:09 BST (UK) »
My worst name is Stewart, no disrespect to our American cousins but they completetly block the net up with talks about DNA testing - they all want to be related to royalty.  It makes it a nightmare to do searches.
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 10 April 06 22:57 BST (UK) »
I have to include the surname Calland-Scoble in your list. Soemtimes I'm hunting for Calland, sometimes Scoble, Sometimes Callands, Sometimes well quite frankly anything that looks like Calland-Scoble. It is a nightmare!

Brigcs

Offline erthomas

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 07:01 BST (UK) »
My worst name to search is Yonker.  I think I need to learn french in order to ever find this line :(   Baggett has proven difficult too
Baggett, Beedon, Boddaugh, Bowman<br />Cain, Cannell, Carpenter, Clague, Cottier, Cowen, Craine, Creer, Cubbon<br />Doyle<br />Hartrick<br />Juke<br />Kaighin<br />McLaughlin, Martin, Moore, Murphy<br />O'Boyle, O'Donnell, Owen(s)<br />Quilliam<br />Radcliffe, Ratzel<br />Semple, Sewell, Shimmin, Snider, Spence, Stevens<br />Taylor, Thomas<br />Walters, Watterson, Wells<br />Younker<br /><br />..............should i continue?  :P

Offline Sooziecats

• I am sorry but my email is not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Jessie Wanklyn 16.01.1913 - Christmas Eve 1987
    • View Profile
Re: The worst surnmaes to search for?
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 11:51 BST (UK) »
On the other hand, uncommon surnames mean that no other so-and-so is searching for it, and you're on your own!

meles

..........and the bally things are almost always mis-spelled or mis-transcribed  ???

How true - I have even found Wanklyn transcribed as Waukling.  No wonder I missed them first time round.  It would be nice to find someone else who is researching my family - still at least I get to be the one to tell all to the family the gossip ;D

Sue B
Herefordshire - Wanklyn (all variations)
Herefordshire - Preece
Gloucestershire - Bayliss
Gloucestershire - Creese
Gloucestershire - Johnson
Gloucestershire - Emerson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk