Author Topic: de Ste Croix  (Read 1529 times)

Offline vik3000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
de Ste Croix
« on: Friday 03 March 06 07:50 GMT (UK) »
If someone could kindly do a look -up for me it would be much appreciated.

I'm afraid I have rather sparse information.

Guilieme (william) Stanley de Ste Croix of Jersey born circa 1886 marriedc 1900/1  Maude Elizabeth Lihou  of Guernsey.

They lived in Jersey - I only think St Helier

Children:

Maude Florence c1902 (married Adolphe HERPE Guernsey 1933)
Dorothy May c1903/4 (married Brackpool - lived at some point Oxted Surrey and died in Jersey)
Stanley Reginald c1907

I am really stuck on researching the de Ste Croix side of my family - they appear rather elusive.

Maude Florence is my grandmother and I know her details AFTER She was married, I would like information on her siblings and her father and his family of de Ste Croix.

I have another name of Joyce de Ste Croix but don't know who/how/where She fits in.

Thanks very much.

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: de Ste Croix
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 April 06 12:16 BST (UK) »
I have looked in the 1891 census transcription for Jersey, and can only find the following -

Living with a number of others in a lodging house in Havre des Pas (which was in those days on the eastern outskirts of St Helier, by the sea):
DE STE CROIX
Gautier  lodger  marr. 44 rtd merchant  Jersey St Helier
Mary I    lodger  marr. 42  -  Jersey St Helier
Marie     lodger    16 scholar  Jersey St Helier
Mabel    lodger    10  scholar   Jersey  St Helier
William  lodger     8  scholar     France

This would make William born about 1883 - in France, which will make finding a birth record tricky.  This year of birth fits better with the date of marriage in 1901 - he would have been aged 18, rather than 15!

I also wonder if the (supposed) father's name is actually Guillaume / Guillieme mistranscribed?

I have not looked in the 1901 census for this family... 

Do you think this might be your ancestor?

Mike

Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline vik3000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: de Ste Croix
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 April 06 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Thanks for your help.  I have come across this record and wasn't sure.  Too be honest the de ste croix family are proving quite tough. :-\

Going back through various census I can find several de ste croix families but none that seem to match.

I have managed to trace the maternal lines (although I've run into some mysteries there as well).

Someone has given me a "glimmer of hope" in the family, they think they recall William (Guilliame) as living "away from the island" and I would guess that it is highly possibly France,but of course that is not enough to make connections!!! ::)

I 'm definate on the marriage date 1901 and about 80% positive he was born 1876/7.

Thanks for your help - if this turns out to be the correct person I will let you know.

Vicky