Author Topic: Anyone seen Harriett PICKEN in Shifnal?  (Read 2846 times)

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Anyone seen Harriett PICKEN in Shifnal?
« on: Friday 03 March 06 16:50 GMT (UK) »
The subject really says it all. I have a Harriett Picken, who married James Hodgkinson in Birmingham in 1833. I can track them in the census data and they show that Harriett was born in Shifnal in about 1811.

The IGI lists a Harriot (sic) Picken christened in Shifnal on 20th Oct 1811 - the daughter of William and Ann Picken. Doing a further search on these parents lists several children that can be tracked. Googling gives quite a bit on the William and Ann Picken family including that William was a tailor.

Great. Except that I think the IGI is wrong listing Harriett with these parents. James died in 1867 and Harriett married again to William Holmes. Her marriage certificate to William lists her father as GEORGE Picken, a coach builder. Doesn't say deceased but I know that I can't rely on that.

After all that - a question or two! Has anyone with access to parish records in Shifnal spotted a possible Harriett? Has anyone with any marriage records of a Picken found one with a father George the coach builder?

I know it's a longshot. There are a lot of Pickens (and don't forget the number of Picken spelling variants!) in Shifnal but you never know.

Thank you
Isobel

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
  • THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SHROPSHIRE
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone seen Harriett Picken in Shifnal?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 06 18:15 GMT (UK) »
hello,

probably not much use but a Thomas Picken was listed as a paper manufacturer at Evelith,Shifnal in 1828.

s.g.d.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 March 06 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isobel

I've been to the Shropshire Archives today but didn't see your post before I went!!!!

I am hoping to go again very soon, possibly next week, so I've copied your details ready to take with me ;)

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 06 19:48 GMT (UK) »
s.g.d.

Thank you for replying. There seem to be so many Pickens in Shifnal.  One of them has to be my missing link!

Thanks
Isobel

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 June 06 23:02 BST (UK) »

Hi Isobel

I went to the Shropshire Archvies today but unfortunately I ran out of time while looking for your Hannah Picken.  There are a lot of films to look through for Shifnal and will take a while.

I hope to go again very soon so will take your details with me and have another look.

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 October 06 23:35 BST (UK) »
Jan

How rude you must think I am for not acknowledging your reply. I haven't been on here for ages and must have missed the email saying that a reply was posted.

If you do have a chance to look for Harriett, I'd still appreciate it.

Thank you
Isobel

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone seen Harriett PICKEN in Shifnal?
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 11:32 BST (UK) »

You are not rude Isobel :D

I have not had the chance to get back to the Archives because of work commitments, but I hope to go there very soon.  Fingers crossed!!