Author Topic: Sutherland (birth look-up needed)  (Read 8391 times)

Offline Linda Maughan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sutherland (birth look-up needed)
« on: Saturday 04 March 06 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Could somene please look up a birth in Scotland for me. I am looking for Margaret (Leslie?) Sutherland.  My mil's mother.  I may have found her death in London in 1935 aged 43 so that makes her born around 1892.  My mil was orphaned at an early age as her father died in 1941 and she can't remember anything about her family.  I have traced her paternal line back to her grandparents and now want to trace her maternal line if I can.  I intend to present her with her family tree in time for her 76th birthday on 16th May as a surprise. If someone can give me a reference I will be able to apply for the birth cert.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me, Linda x
Ninnes - Cornwall,  Maughan - Durham, Camm - Bolton by Bowland, Tuffs - Suffolk, Nuttall - Lancs

Offline tetcol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherland (birth look-up needed)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 March 06 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Are these any good to you?

1894 SUTHERLAND MAGGIE ANN F KIRKWALL AND ST OLA /ORKNEY 021/00 0085

1892 SUTHERLAND MAGGIE ANN BAIN F KIRKWALL AND ST OLA /ORKNEY 021/00 0093

You will be able to view them on scotlandspeople site.

Cathy

Offline Linda Maughan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 March 06 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Cathy but I don't think these have any connection.  I am looking for Margaret Leslie Sutherland.  I queried the spelling of Leslie as it is written the boys way on her daughters birth cert.  Maybe it is just a spelling error by the registrar. 

Linda
Ninnes - Cornwall,  Maughan - Durham, Camm - Bolton by Bowland, Tuffs - Suffolk, Nuttall - Lancs

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 March 06 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Leslie is likely to be a family name, rather than a feminine christian name.

Offline Linda Maughan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 March 06 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Corinne, I hadn't thought of that  :)  So that could be a lead to her mothers maiden name if I'm lucky  :)  Still can't find her birth though  :(

Linda

Offline llynhelyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 May 06 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Linda,
Does your mil have any idea where her parents married or roughly when? If you  could find that out you will get your mil's mother's father's name and occupation and then you might be able to trace whereabouts on the census. that would at least give you an area of Scotland to search. If you give me your mils married name I  can do a cross reference search on Scotlands people for you, (if you think they were married inScotland that is) as I have a few credits soon  to expire. Scottish marriage licences provide both the mother and father of the bride and grooms details.
Regards
Diane

Offline Linda Maughan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 May 06 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the offer Diane

The only info I have is mil's father was called Percival Morris Jones and his father was Morris Davis Jones.  Mil was born in May 1930 and she can vaguely remember an older brother, maybe a couple of years older so the marriage could have taken place a couple of years before 1930.   She seems to think that her parents may not have been married but they are listed as Mrs and Mrs Jones in the electoral register in 1932.

Thanks for any help but please do not waste any credits if you need them for yourself as this may well be a wild goose chase if it turns out that they were not married after all.

Linda

Offline llynhelyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 May 06 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello again Linda,
Don't worry I'll have a nose about and see what I can find. I have looked on Scotlands People for a Margaret Lesie Sutherland and there are none listed for the dates you have given me. There are a lot of Margaret Sutherlands but without knowing which area she was born in it will be difficult to track her down.
Good luck, something will turnup I'm sure.
Diane

Offline Linda Maughan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 May 06 18:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Diane

One other thing....according to mil Margaret was from Kirkwall, Orkney.  I can't be 100% sure about this as it is only what she thinks.

Linda