Author Topic: Sutherland (birth look-up needed)  (Read 8392 times)

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
  • John - James William & Peter Elmer Sabiston
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherland (birth look-up needed)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 January 07 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Could any of these Leslie names be of help??

http://tilley.dynodns.net:8000/modules.php?op=modload&name=OPR&file=results

There are also lots of Sutherlands on this site.

Spanish Eyes
Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

I Live In Aldergrove, BC, Canada (Outskirts Of Vancouver).

Offline Linda Maughan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 January 07 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying to this post Spanish Eyes. I have taken a look but can't find any reference to my mil's mother there.

Since my first post I have discovered that mil's mother was in fact married previously as I now have her death certificate, dated 1935 she was 43 when she died.  On there it gives her name as 'Margaret Leslie Sutherland otherwise known as Jones' (mil was obviously correct in saying that her parents were not married) it then says 'widow of - Sutherland'   No Christian name of her former husband which is rather annoying!  So I am assuming her maiden name could have been Leslie.   I don't seem to be getting anywhere with this!   Looks like one of those mysteries which will never be solved!

Thanks anyway!

Ninnes - Cornwall,  Maughan - Durham, Camm - Bolton by Bowland, Tuffs - Suffolk, Nuttall - Lancs

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 January 07 22:45 GMT (UK) »

Cant give up there is something somewhere out there and a lot of times you stumble across it by error.

Good luck and if I see anything that might be of help I will pass it on.

Spanish Eyes
Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

Offline Linda Maughan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 January 07 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Well I at least managed to make up part of mil's family tree in time for her birthday in May.   I was able, through a contact on another genealogy site, to trace her Jones family back to the late 1700's  That was a terrific discovery...also the contact sent me 13 family photos, including pics of mil's grandmother!   Loads of info too.

Unfortunately there was nothing with regard to her mother, no photos or any info  :(  But she is over the moon with the infor on her fathers side so that is good!  I live in hope!
Ninnes - Cornwall,  Maughan - Durham, Camm - Bolton by Bowland, Tuffs - Suffolk, Nuttall - Lancs

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 January 07 23:00 GMT (UK) »
It is too bad that they never registered common law in those days, that I know of anyway.

At least you have a nice package to give her, I am sure she will be quite surprised either way.

Maybe down the road you will find more information to work on for her Mothers side and that family.

Take care, Spanish Eyes

Offline Linda Maughan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 January 07 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks  :)

Good Luck with your search too, at least I get enjoyment from this, frustrating as it is at times ... still fun though  :)

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 January 07 23:58 GMT (UK) »

It is hard to find a ghost sometimes but it is obvious your not a quitter.

You will find them one day.

Thanks I enjoy my searches too.

Spanish Eyes

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
another thought about the Leslie name
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 May 08 22:01 BST (UK) »
I have an idea that the Leslie surname is one that came to Orkney from people who moved to Orkney from Fair Isle.  There are people on Westray (one of the north isles of Orkney with the surname Leslie.

Offline Linda Maughan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 May 08 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi again Corinne, thanks for the tip.  I am living in Spain at the moment and the internet access I have here (up in the mountains) isn't a good connection - keeps going off.  I am returning to England in July though so have made a note of your post and will do more research on the Leslie name when I get home. 

Nothing more has come to light so this info is another push for me.  Thanks again  :)