Author Topic: London Met Archives lookup please  (Read 570 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
London Met Archives lookup please
« on: Saturday 04 March 06 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, was wondering if anyone is going to the LMA in the near future...its just that I live in the North of Scotland and the only way i can find out what on earth happened to my grandad is by looking at some records from LMA...and yes its about 700mile from here!!

My grandad Desmond Salter was born in Fulham Road Infirmary (369 Fulham Road to be precise), District of Chelsea North. (The name of the Infirmary might be slightly different so go on the address if there's any confusion)

His birth date was 4/12/1918.

His mum was Ethel Salter (Desmond was illegitimate I believe) and took his mums name. No Father given on birth certificate. His mum Ethel,  is said to be 'a munition worker of 5 Marville Road, Fulham' which I have checked out and found is near to Fulham Road Infirmary itself. So she obviously just went in the Infirmary a while before he was born for medical treatment.

I have a fair idea that Ethel may have been young when she had him hence why she wasnt married and why he subsequently ended up in an orphanage.

The orphanage was in Mill Hill, London - I have just heard that he was there between 12-14yrs of age...but I'd like to know where he was before that. Did Ethel bring him up herself or was she made to give him up at birth - I know that there was a workshouse adjoined to Fulham Road Infirmary - after he was born could he have been brought up there for a number of years?

I know a bit about Desmond's later life but his childhood is a mystery - as is his father and even mother to a certain extent.

If anyone has any spare time when they visit the LMA I would really appreciate it if you try and lookup the following - it really would mean the difference between my dad knowing who his father was (Desmond went on to abandon his own child - my dad - later in life and my dad has never known anything about him - not even if he is still alive). This is the last lead that I have as to tracing the Salter line.

Thanks very much - here's the info which I'm looking for:

-When was Ethel admitted to Fulham Road Infirmary? I presume this would be just before Desmond was born (4/12/1918)

-When was she discharged? Did she take Desmond with her or was he left in the workhouse or sent elsewhere - this would be fantastic if you could find this out!!

-Desmond's Baptism - any info

- if you can possibly gleam ANY info on Desmonds parents (AGE or even names!) this would be great!

-Basically ANYTHING AT ALL which you can glean from admission books and creed registers from Fulham Roiad Infirmary would be really really helpful...
Thanks so much for your time
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
Re: London Met Archives lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 September 07 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison  8)

just wondered how your search was going after other responses on other boards?

For what its worth, I didnt hear anything at all from other contacts (and theories) on GR

I do hope you are well and havent given up hope :-\

Cheers :D
Jan T
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!