Author Topic: Mackworth  (Read 1973 times)

Offline frances1966

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mackworth
« on: Sunday 05 March 06 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a relative called John Sherwin, who apparently lived at Mackworth Castle Farm in the 1700s I wonder if anyone knows anything about the villige. As far as I can see now there is no farm with that name now in Mackworth. Though there is a "Castle Farm" in Kellys 1891 trade directory. I'm wondering if it could be  the farm attached to the medievil gate that I have seen photos of on line, anyone know what this farm is called now?
Does anyone know anything about the history of the villiage?
many thanks
Frances
http://www.smallmoonvalley.com/sherwin

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mackworth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 March 06 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Dear Frances
I used to go past the "castle" - just a gate house and probably never finished as they seem to have changed their minds about the location of their house and built it somewhere else - when I was young and used to go for long walks with friends - I lived on the other side of Derby.  If you go to www.derbyphotos.co.uk you'll see there's an adjoining cottage - probably 18th century and I think it was, if I remember, a farmhouse, but whether it was ever known as that I have no idea.  However, I don't know that this is any help to you.
Linda
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)

Offline frances1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 March 06 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help, from what I have read on the web I believe that the cottage is part of a farm, and it makes sence that this would be Castle Farm, though I don't think it can be called this anymore.

Offline dyoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 12:02 GMT (UK) »
hi frances there is an interesting book called the manor of markeaton mackworth and allestree 1650 to 1851 it gives maps inventries hearth taxes and some maps of land farmed in mackworth its by rosemary lucas on page 60 there is a map of 1763 with house plot numbers and acreage held plot 192 is held by samuel sherwin could this be a relative.alll the maps in the book are held at derby local studies libaray tel 01332 255393  i live in mackworth its changed very little over the years .good luck with your research if you need any photograrhs taken or a search of the grave yard at mackworth i will be happy to help. recards pauline

Offline dyoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 12:17 GMT (UK) »
hi again it,s pauline just had a look through the book by rosemary lucas again page 50 allestree lists francis saddler oldhall farm 56 acrears thomas saddler hollis farm 71acrears john sadler mullberries farm 80 acrears                             good luck pauline

Offline frances1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi pauline
Thanks very much for your help. I have heard of this book and have it on order from Amazon. (though they say it will take 4 to 6 weeks to find me a copy). It sounds very interesting.
I think the Samuel Sherwin you have mentioned must be a relative but for now I am not sure how he would fit in.
My 4th great grandfather was also called Samuel Sherwin and he was born in Mackworth c 1779.

I think his father was called John and he is  supposed to have farmed at Mackworth Castle Farm. This was written down by an old Aunt from Derby in 1929 and she could well be wrong.

I have a list of memorials at the Church in Mackworth  I know there is one that says:

"In Memory of John, son of John and Anne Sherwin who departed his life August 10, 1779 aged 37 years."

I think this is probably Samuels father John who must have died the year he was born.   I'd be very interested to know where in the church this is.

I have ordered a CD of the parish records  I'm hoping it will have more info than the IGI and I can work out how all the Sherwins in
Mackworth all fit together.

I'm glad it hasn't changed much over the years, I've been disappointed when researching my ancestors in Derby as so much of their world has now gone.
Thanks again for your help
Frances

Offline frances1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Wow pauline thanks very much for that Sadler info. Do you know what date this is from?